Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > When to add, oats, and coriander??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2005, 02:30 AM   #11
SwAMi75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You might have posted elsewhere, but I don't recall seeing.....how did it turn out?

I was searching for info on adding corriander and orange peel, and came across this.

I just cracked an orange-corriander weisse I bottled about two weeks ago and I'm pretty pleased. All I did was throw 1oz bitter, and 1oz sweet orange peel into the secondary, along with 1 oz slightly crushed corriander.

It's got a bit of an orange zing to it....just enough for me. Not much corriander, though. I definitely forsee myself adding the corriander to the boil next time, and maybe 1oz total orange peel, for a bit more flavor. Then .5oz of each to the secondary.

If I can refine the recipe a little, I definitely forsee this becoming my standard summer brew.

Sam

Gone unsung for far too long

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2005, 02:48 PM   #12
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

I have made 3 batches of Wit in the past couple weeks and I'm finding I like 1 oz bitter orange peel for 10-12 gallons added 20 minutes from the end of the boil.

1-2 oz coriander freshly ground added at the very end of the boil is seeming about right for that It fades fairly quickly from the flavor profile, so you may want to go a bit strong at the beginning so that it fades out to where you like it after a few weeks.

The one we made with one oz of each is an excellent Wit, probably more because of the mash schedule, but the spices are really nicely balanced and it's one week old (!) Wit in the traditional sense

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 03-28-2005, 04:47 PM   #13
Tophe

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I added .5 oz of orange peel and .5 oz of corriander in the last 10 mins of the boil. I gave it a lil taste when i racked to secondary and i could def taste the spices.....I think i used the sweet orange peel b/c i wasnt sure which one to use. My recipe didnt call for any orange peel but i added it anyways Im going to bottle it today hopefully, as i didnt get around to it last weekend.

Quick Reply