Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > When to add coconut...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2009, 03:25 AM   #1
arover
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default When to add coconut...

I'm going for a recipe based off of the "Oatmeal Cookie Brown Ale" from Radical Brewing. I'm looking to give it just a hint of coconut, but after reading up on many ventures with coconut in brewing, it seems a bit harder than expected to get that added flavor. I was thinking about roasting a pound or two of shredded coconut in the oven and throwing it all in to the secondary. What do you guys think? Should I maybe try adding coconut milk instead? What experiences have the rest of you had with it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Coconut milk has a good amount of oils in it that would make me hesitant to use. I'm just guessing, but the shredded seems like it might be better.

Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Old 06-11-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
nipsy3
Recipes 

The brewpub nearby makes a fantastic coconut stout every summer. It's based off of their normal milk stout recipe, but with less roasted barley and more chocolate barley. They put unsweetened coconut flakes in their serving tanks. The flavor comes from the oils, which mix with the beer when chilled in the tanks. They use flaked oats to counteract what the oils would do to head retention. But I have no idea how much. That'll be the biggest problem.

I've read in some places where people use coconut milk instead of coconut.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #4
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

I;m sure you have seen my posts on the Coconut Cream Stout I did, but I added toasted and untoasted shredded coconut (unsweetened) to the secondary along with coconut milk from a can. I added about 4# coconut plus 4 cans per 5 gallons IIRC and it has a nice but not overpowering flavor, mostly because it is a pretty roasty stout. Left it all in there for abotu 3-4 weeks IIRC...been a while. The beer never poured with any head at all because of the oils, but it was yummy-licious. I have another 5-gallon keg sitting in my basement waiting for the right moment.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:39 PM   #5
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

"When to add coconut..."

....right after you put da lime in it.

Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, I’m a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

spearko520 Likes This 
Old 06-12-2009, 05:57 AM   #6
arover
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoXJ13 View Post
I;m sure you have seen my posts on the Coconut Cream Stout I did, but I added toasted and untoasted shredded coconut (unsweetened) to the secondary along with coconut milk from a can. I added about 4# coconut plus 4 cans per 5 gallons IIRC and it has a nice but not overpowering flavor, mostly because it is a pretty roasty stout. Left it all in there for abotu 3-4 weeks IIRC...been a while. The beer never poured with any head at all because of the oils, but it was yummy-licious. I have another 5-gallon keg sitting in my basement waiting for the right moment.
I was actually thinking about sending you a message before I created the topic, but I figured I'd just create the topic instead! I'm wondering if there can be a happy medium to create a balance between a minor amount of head and using enough coconut to give some flavor. I don't think I'll add quite that much coconut, but I'm wondering how much coconut will contribute a slight, delicate flavor to complement the oatmeal nutty-ness of the brown ale. I'm taking a typical brown ale recipe (Mosher's from Radical Brewing), and trying his "Oatmeal Cookie Ale" version of it, which substitutes oatmeal and brown sugar for some malt. I don't want an overwhelming amount of coconut though, basically worried I will have a dessert beer, one that many will only want one of at a time due to the sweetness. The IBU isn't going to be very high either (around 26), so the strong flavor wouldn't complement the flavor as well as it would a stout...I think. I'm still new to all of this..
Old 06-12-2009, 03:01 PM   #7
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

Maybe go with about half of what I did. Here is the recipe of what I did from the original creator.
http://aircrafter.org/boggs/homebrew/recipes/2006.10.29-Coconut_Cream_Stout.xml

Old 12-08-2010, 07:07 PM   #8
shortz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i Just finished a coconut stout and the primary fermentation was active but there was no yeast/ fermentation cap in the bucket. I hoped it wouldn't happen but chemistry is chemistry... grease kills foam. My guess is like I read above that the oil from the coconut killed the surface tension. Hopefully the beer will still be drinkable even though there will be no foam.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
cowperc
Recipes 

i'm in the middle of trying my first coconut porter...

8.2 lbs Dark Malt Extract
Steeping grains: 18 oz Chocolate Malt, 16 oz Caramel Malt 80L
1 oz Northern Brewer Pellets (bittering hops)
1 oz Perle Pellets (aroma hops)
8 oz Equal Exchange organic cocoa
Wyeast 1272 AM Ale II Activator yeast

I've had it in primary for a week, and i'll rack onto 28 oz of toasted coconut flakes next sunday. looking forward to seeing how it works out, but like everyone else has said, i'm a little worried about how the lack of head will impact the overall experience of the beer.

Primary: Pale Ale
Bottled: Toasted Coconut Porter
Adventures in beer: http://cowperc.wikidot.com/

Old 01-16-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
obie_fl
Recipes 

I just did a Maui Brewing Coconut Porter clone that turned out pretty well. I did 12 of ounces of toasted coconut flakes for nine days in the secondary. I used Bob's Red Mill unsweetened coconut flakes toasted in a skillet. Turned out pretty close although head retention is fair. I kegged it and the coconut really comes through when you pull a glass.

Primary: Bavarian Hefeweizen Primary 2: Empty
Bottled: Coconut Porter, Chocolate Milk Stout, Fat Tire Clone, AHS Golden Palisades IPA, AHS Stormcastle Brown, Dead Guy Clone.
Kegged: Two Hearted Ale Clone , Mirror Pond Clone, AHS Piloncillo Brown Ale, Pliny Clone (Carbing).

Quick Reply