Last week to Enter the Spike Brewing 20 Gallon Sight Glass Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > when to add candi sugar?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
krenshaw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default when to add candi sugar?

i've looked at a bunch of belgian recipes on here but nobody seems to mention when to add the candi sugar.. can somebody please tell me? is it in the boil, into the fermenter, or possibly even the mash? thanks, i have no idea

~ A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

DOWN THE HATCH BREWING
Stainless Hop Spider | Wooden Brew Rig | Dual Hinge Keezer Build

Primaries.. oxy :-(
Keg 1: Apfelwein | Keg 2: BlackEyePA version2 | Keg 3: Summer Saison
Bottles: lots full and even more empty

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
sully20331
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Toward end of boil- about 15 min. At least that is what I did for my Belgian and it turned out pretty damn good

Old 06-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
punkerdru
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully20331
Toward end of boil- about 15 min. At least that is what I did for my Belgian and it turned out pretty damn good
This. Add it as late as possible.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2811 Times on 1676 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

It depends on the situation. Typically if it's a small amount (a couple of pounds) it's added to the boil. Traditionally adjucnts are added in the last 15 minutes of the boil, (They are added then usually to reduce boiling away essential oils and flavor components which are volitle.)

But with sugar, although folks typically add in the last 15 minutes of the boil, you can add it at anytime, there's nothing volitile to be driven off by extended boiling. A lot of time I add it right away, just so I don't forget.

For larger amounts of sugar, or when making big beers it's usually a good idea to spread the additions into the fermentation, it makes it easier on the yeast, to eat the simple sugars after the complex ones from barley have been consumed, rather than trying to eat it all at once.

In that case I do multiple feedings, waiting til the first krausen falls, then I ad some of the sugar addition then, (usually another krausen will form) then adding subsequent additions as each krausen falls.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
krenshaw

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 27

thanks for the help! i believe its either 8oz or 1lb.. so somewhere mid boil or so is fine with me..

~ A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

DOWN THE HATCH BREWING
Stainless Hop Spider | Wooden Brew Rig | Dual Hinge Keezer Build

Primaries.. oxy :-(
Keg 1: Apfelwein | Keg 2: BlackEyePA version2 | Keg 3: Summer Saison
Bottles: lots full and even more empty

Old 08-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
PartTimeJedi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
It depends on the situation. Typically if it's a small amount (a couple of pounds) it's added to the boil. Traditionally adjucnts are added in the last 15 minutes of the boil, (They are added then usually to reduce boiling away essential oils and flavor components which are volitle.)

But with sugar, although folks typically add in the last 15 minutes of the boil, you can add it at anytime, there's nothing volitile to be driven off by extended boiling. A lot of time I add it right away, just so I don't forget.

For larger amounts of sugar, or when making big beers it's usually a good idea to spread the additions into the fermentation, it makes it easier on the yeast, to eat the simple sugars after the complex ones from barley have been consumed, rather than trying to eat it all at once.

In that case I do multiple feedings, waiting til the first krausen falls, then I ad some of the sugar addition then, (usually another krausen will form) then adding subsequent additions as each krausen falls.
When doing multiple or incremental feedings, do you stir/mix the sugar in as you add it or do you just pour it in? I'm thinking of doing this with some candi sugar syrup but wasn't sure how to add. I would hate to oxidize it. Thanks!

Quick Reply