New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Wheat beer + unfermented blackberry wine =?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
artyboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wheat beer + unfermented blackberry wine =?

So a few weeks ago I tried doing a 1 gallon batch of blackberry wine. I must have used a bit too much potassium metobisulphite because the yeast never took off. It didn't ferment at all. Here's the recipe that I used. It ended up at 1.092

5 lbs blackberries
2 lbs sugar
1 quart water
.5 tsp acid blend
.5 tsp potassium metabisulphite
.5 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient

I also have a 5 gallon batch of wheat beer that's in the secondary. It was my first attempt at a cereal mash. The OG was a little lower than I had hoped it would be at 1.044 but it was still decent considering how much of the mash was unmalted wheat (40%). It fermented down to 1.000. As it sits it's pretty good. What could I expect from it if I dumped the blackberry wine juice into it, though? I'm guessing that what's left of the yeast would probably get active again and start going after the blackberry wine juice. If it doesn't get kicking within a couple of days I could dump some champagne yeast in or something. 1 gallon of liquid at 1.092 into 5 gallons of liquid at 1.000 would give me what OG? I think it would be 1.021 but I'm not sure....

Last edited by artyboy; 08-14-2010 at 01:56 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
HokieBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

((5 gal* 1.000) + (1 gal*1.092))/6 = 1.015

Old 08-14-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3869 Times on 2826 Posts
Likes Given: 647

Well, if the must is so stunned from the .5 teaspoon of k-meta that it wouldn't ferment, you may have an uncarbonated sweet blackberry beer if it never does take off.

I'm certain that .5 teaspoon of k-meta in a 1 gallon batch is a misprint. You use 1/4 teaspoon or so in the must of a 5 gallon batch. It does disipate with time, so you may get it to start up again. I'd try doing it separately before I possibly ruined my beer, though.

If you stir, stir, stir, the blackberry must several times a day, you might get much of the sulfite out and then you can pitch some fresh yeast on it.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
artyboy
Recipes 

I added the k-meta after crushing my berries then stirred a couple of times per day for a week. Then I pitched my yeast. I probably just used way too much. We'll see how it reacts with 5 gallons of beer. I always use a teaspoon in my 5 gallon batches.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3869 Times on 2826 Posts
Likes Given: 647

Quote:
Originally Posted by artyboy View Post
I added the k-meta after crushing my berries then stirred a couple of times per day for a week. Then I pitched my yeast. I probably just used way too much. We'll see how it reacts with 5 gallons of beer. I always use a teaspoon in my 5 gallon batches.
A teaspoon of k-meta? Are you sure? That is a boat load and about 4x more than anybody I know would recommend!

Old 08-15-2010, 04:50 AM   #6
JLem
naturally selected
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:

I also have a 5 gallon batch of wheat beer that's in the secondary. It was my first attempt at a cereal mash. The OG was a little lower than I had hoped it would be at 1.044 but it was still decent considering how much of the mash was unmalted wheat (40%). It fermented down to 1.000. As it sits it's pretty good.
I've never had a beer ferment out like that - I didn't even know it was possible. Sorry to doubt you, but are you sure that it really is down at 1.000?

Old 08-15-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
artyboy
Recipes 

Yes. I used the dregs from a Saison de Buff for the yeast. I was really surprised, too. I checked three samples and used two different hydrometers. I combined the two batches and it's fermenting away again so I guess I'll see where it ends up.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #8
JLem
naturally selected
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Yes. I used the dregs from a Saison de Buff for the yeast. I was really surprised, too. I checked three samples and used two different hydrometers. I combined the two batches and it's fermenting away again so I guess I'll see where it ends up.
Still...and I know I am perseverating on something tangential to the actual post...but...1.000 is real low...lower than most lambics, no? This is closer to cider/wine territory. Is it possible it has a wild yeast or other infection? Is it sour at all?

My Beer Cellar

Old 08-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #9
artyboy
Recipes 

It's not sour. It's extremely dry, though.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

You could try cutting the blackberry must with water and sugar to make two gallons.

Quick Reply