New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Wheat ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
rrudnic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wheat ?

I have been thinking about trying to do a totally locally grown beer, I have some contact with local farmers through my job and have talked to them about getting wheat since they already grow it as well as some other possible grains. I was told the wheat grown here is normally used for animal feed and not milled. Apparantly it just doesnt mill down to as fine a texture. Since I'm not making bread I don't expect this would have much of a bearing on me but was just wondering if anyone knew anything about wheat and if the variation in strains would make a difference?

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Empty
Bottled - APA, PB Stout, Summer Rye, Trippel
In the Works - thinking bout it

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
Oldsock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 42

You should be fine using it, probably just has higher protein content. You'll need to do a cereal mash (or pre-boil the milled wheat) with some malted grain to get it to convert. I'm actually running a class at a farm in Virginia in a couple weeks on brewing with local ingredients (grains, fruit, hops etc...) although sadly the opposite corner of the state from Hampton (aka Purcellville).

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation (cheese, bread, ginger beer plant, and of course plenty of funky beer).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply