Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > What's wrong with this formula

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 05:24 AM   #11
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 307 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by logdrum View Post
I couldn't disagree more. I use Columbus all the time for flavor, bittering & have even dry hopped with it.. Excessive amounts can be annoying, but it's one of my favorite hops.
Please read the thread before providing a negative comment. My comments about the Columbus were with respect to the OPs recipe where he added the Columbus at 60 and 30 ........ Therefore it is just providing bittering.

It was not a comment on the hop itself.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 07:22 AM   #12
pm5k00
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post

Please read the thread before providing a negative comment. My comments about the Columbus were with respect to the OPs recipe where he added the Columbus at 60 and 30 ........ Therefore it is just providing bittering.

It was not a comment on the hop itself.
A 60 minute addition will add flavor to beer. It is subtle but it does add flavor. If anyone doesn't believe me make a 60 minute only addition beer and find out for yourself (all pale malt and an intense hop like citra or chinook would best exemplify this).

30 minute additions add flavor too, I have never seen anyone argue that point before.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #13
Grantman1
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm5k00 View Post
A 60 minute addition will add flavor to beer. It is subtle but it does add flavor. If anyone doesn't believe me make a 60 minute only addition beer and find out for yourself (all pale malt and an intense hop like citra or chinook would best exemplify this).

30 minute additions add flavor too, I have never seen anyone argue that point before.
I agree with you on the fact that they do add some flavor, but not nearly as much as later additions. I've done 30 min additions but have skipped them entirely now because I sort of view it as a waste of hops. I'd rather be getting either bittering or aroma/flavor, but 30 minutes just seems to hang in between.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #14
pm5k00
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantman1 View Post

I agree with you on the fact that they do add some flavor, but not nearly as much as later additions. I've done 30 min additions but have skipped them entirely now because I sort of view it as a waste of hops. I'd rather be getting either bittering or aroma/flavor, but 30 minutes just seems to hang in between.
Yes same here, I like to do FWH, and then 20, 15, 10, 5, 0 for hop forward beers. Later additions defenitly have a greater impact on flavor and aroma, I just wanted to clarify about the misconception on this site about early additions contributing nothing but bitterness.

Quick Reply