Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > whats the craziest thing you've ever looked at and said "yeah, I could ferment that"?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2008, 05:14 PM   #1
potzertommy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default whats the craziest thing you've ever looked at and said "yeah, I could ferment that"?

I have been thinking about going half malted barley (so I can get the proper enzymes) half Lucky Charms cereal for a while. It would probably be horrible, but so are those "turkey" and "mashed potatos and gravy" Jones Sodas they sell around the holidays, and people drink those just to say they did

I was also thinking about onions for a while, but i guess someone beat me to that.

plantains?

starfruit?

orange juice?

So, whats the craziest think you've ever looked at and said "yeah, i could ferment that"? It really seems that, in the world of alcohol, everything has been done, so bonus points if you come up with something that there is no evidence has been done before. Also, if youve actually tried it, i would love to hear what your results were.

In Primary:
Trippel Dubbel

In Secondary:

In Bottles:
Margawheata
Rochefort 8 clone
Baby Steps Pale Ale
Carbonation Surprise IPA

Lewis Black on Wisconsin: You are not… you are NOT… alcoholics. You, and my hat is off, are professionals.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2008, 05:20 PM   #2
Brett0424
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If it can be fermented it has. Traditional xingu is fermented spit. Chickens have been fermented, tobacco for cigars is fermented. I've had jalapeno wine. I'm sticking to my wort sugars and fruit juices. I'd like to see where this goes though.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

There is a japanese or korean wine. They take baby mice fetuses and put them in a jug, add water and let it sit in the sun for a few months. There is a vietnamese drink that ferments venemous snakes.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:26 PM   #4
potzertommy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett0424 View Post
If it can be fermented it has. Traditional xingu is fermented spit. Chickens have been fermented, tobacco for cigars is fermented. I've had jalapeno wine. I'm sticking to my wort sugars and fruit juices. I'd like to see where this goes though.
How is jalepeno wine?

In Primary:
Trippel Dubbel

In Secondary:

In Bottles:
Margawheata
Rochefort 8 clone
Baby Steps Pale Ale
Carbonation Surprise IPA

Lewis Black on Wisconsin: You are not… you are NOT… alcoholics. You, and my hat is off, are professionals.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:50 PM   #5
Brewmando
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I keep eyeing the Maple and Brown Sugar Malt-O-Meal..... HHMMM.... I've got extra grains, yeast, hops and all. Luckily I don't wish to make a BMC beer or the instant grits would be in peril.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:53 PM   #6
potzertommy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmando View Post
I keep eyeing the Maple and Brown Sugar Malt-O-Meal..... HHMMM.... I've got extra grains, yeast, hops and all. Luckily I don't wish to make a BMC beer or the instant grits would be in peril.
What does BMC stand for?

In Primary:
Trippel Dubbel

In Secondary:

In Bottles:
Margawheata
Rochefort 8 clone
Baby Steps Pale Ale
Carbonation Surprise IPA

Old 05-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #7
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by potzertommy View Post
What does BMC stand for?
Bowel Movement Conversion. It's essentially converting the starches in your, you know, BM, into fermentable wort.

oh, um, I mean, "Bud, Miller, Coors". It's easier than typing out "mass-produced light american lager".

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 05-23-2008, 06:35 PM   #8
Vatechtigger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by potzertommy View Post
How is jalepeno wine?
Ive had this at various wine making conventions I have been to. It is unique, hot, alcoholic and sweet (had some residual sugar) def not something I would drink with dinner, although better than the various chili beers I have tried.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:54 PM   #9
raceskier
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ube is going in my next beer.

I had the opportunity to try some Ube ice cream, and the first thing that hit me was the rich, dare I say 'malty' flavor. Very intriguing. I think I'm going to try the pumpkin approach of baking the yam, then mashing (squishing) it and adding it to a mash of 2-row and probably some crystal. Not sure if I'm going to try and spice it or not.

I wonder if my beer wil come out purple?

Purple Haze anyone?

Primary: , Boddington's Clone, Mirror Pond w/Marris Otter
Secondary:
Bottled: Fullers ESB Clone
Kegged: Mirror Pond Clone
Drinking: BM's Kona Fire Rock, Dead Guy Clone, Alaskan Amber Alt Clone, Firestone DBA Clone, Magnum/Crystal IPA
Next up: Burton IPA

Old 05-23-2008, 09:01 PM   #10
rabidgerbil
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I tried doing a beer with beets, and the color survived the light boiling that I gave my starter, but the aggressive full boil of the wort broke down what ever was causing the color.

My LHBS

Quick Reply