Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > What's comparable to Oberon yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2007, 01:42 AM   #1
PseudoChef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default What's comparable to Oberon yeast?

I recultured some Oberon yeast from a bottle, but was wondering what commercial yeast this style is similar to. I was largely disappointed with the Oberon (first try). However, this was also my first 'American Wheat' so I was also wondering if it was supposed to be as lager-y and clear as mine was. It had a crisp finish, but no distinct flavour that I usually encounter with a Hefe or Wit.

Would this yeast work well in a Wit recipe?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2007, 01:53 AM   #2
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Is it possible they use a different yeast for the bottle conditioning than for the fermentation?

Old 08-02-2007, 02:01 AM   #3
PseudoChef

Recipes 

I was under the impression from previous posts and Oberon recipes which call for the reculture, that the bottle yeast is the same as primary fermentation.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

I'm not sure what oberon is, but you said it was for an American Wheat... if that's true, that's your problem. Hefe and wits use special, well, hefe and wit yeast. German Hefe is a yeast that has a banana/clove flavor and nose to it and the wits have what I would call a fruity, tangy taste(in my experience) but it's very distinctive for sure. Whereas American Wheats use a yeast that doesn't usually impart a very substantial/distinctive flavor.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:49 PM   #5
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seefresh
I'm not sure what oberon is, but you said it was for an American Wheat... if that's true, that's your problem. Hefe and wits use special, well, hefe and wit yeast. German Hefe is a yeast that has a banana/clove flavor and nose to it and the wits have what I would call a fruity, tangy taste(in my experience) but it's very distinctive for sure. Whereas American Wheats use a yeast that doesn't usually impart a very substantial/distinctive flavor.

Great, that's exactly the info I was looking for. I'm really looking for that tangy, fruity taste.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:18 PM   #6
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Cool, then go with a Belgian Wit yeast, I used the WYeast one, very nice, let it ferment at around 70-72F

Old 08-02-2007, 09:13 PM   #7
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

I am pretty positive that Bells uses different yeast at bottling time. I was going to make an Oberon clone at the begining of the summer and I did a little digging and talkto a friend that was from MI right near the brewery and he had sais the same thing. plus they changed the recipe from what it started out as. I would go with an american hefe (WLP320). it will be different from Oberon But it will be more of the hefe/wit flavor you are looking for.

Cheers

Old 08-02-2007, 10:27 PM   #8
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wop31
I am pretty positive that Bells uses different yeast at bottling time. I was going to make an Oberon clone at the begining of the summer and I did a little digging and talkto a friend that was from MI right near the brewery and he had sais the same thing. plus they changed the recipe from what it started out as. I would go with an american hefe (WLP320). it will be different from Oberon But it will be more of the hefe/wit flavor you are looking for.

Cheers
Everything I've read said they use the same yeast. Perhaps they've changed it up. Either way, I was just wondering what other styles (besides American wheat) I could use it on, since that one didn't impress me.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:00 PM   #9
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

So I was given incorrect information about the yeast in an Oberon as well as all the other Bells Beers. I e-mailed them and got this response.

Quote:
Dear Wop31:

Veronica forwarded your message to me & asked that I respond to your question. The yeast in a bottle of Oberon Ale is the same as the fermentation strain. It is also the same yeast used to ferment almost all of our beers; we follow what is essentially a house yeast model. Only certain specialty or seasonal beers use different strains of brewers’ yeast. The primary examples include any of our lagers (Bell’s Lage, Octoberfest, & Consecrator Doppelbock) and the Winter White Ale.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Gary S. Nicholas
Quality Assurance & Control
Bell's Brewery, Inc.
8938 Krum Avenue
Galesburg, MI 49053
Voice: 269/382-2338 x210
Fax: 269/382-3820
E-mail: gnicholas@bellsbeer.com
I hope that this makes up for my posting wrong info.....sorry

Cheers

Old 08-17-2007, 06:00 AM   #10
Robar
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The Snooty Know-it-Most at my LHBS told me that all of your mid to large sized breweries (As well as a good bunch of the smaller ones) use the same yeast for most of their brews. Like what was mentioned above a "House Yeast".

Quick Reply