Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > What's the Best Yeast for a Boulevard Wheat Clone?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007, 08:17 PM   #1
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Default What's the Best Yeast for a Boulevard Wheat Clone?

My daughters graduation party is in July and she wants me to brew a Boulevard. I'm following Dude's recipe but backing off the grain bill a bit to keep the ABV% down and keep this a summer session.

I want to be careful to stay away from the clove & banana strains, as this is a...well...a Boulevard Wheat drinking crowd and likely their first exposure to homebrew. I'll have plenty of my SNPA, Bass Ale and ESB flowing too for the more adventurous crowd.

Can anyone recommend a good wheat beer yeast that would work?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2007, 08:20 PM   #2
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
My daughters graduation party is in July and she wants me to brew a Boulevard. I'm following Dude's recipe but backing off the grain bill a bit to keep the ABV% down and keep this a summer session.

I want to be careful to stay away from the clove & banana strains, as this is a...well...a Boulevard Wheat drinking crowd and likely their first exposure to homebrew. I'll have plenty of my SNPA, Bass Ale and ESB flowing too for the more adventurous crowd.

Can anyone recommend a good wheat beer yeast that would work?

Thanks.
1007 German Ale Yeast.
Probable origin: Dusseldorf, Germany
Beer Style: Alt beer, American style wheat beers
Commercial examples may include: St. Stan Alt, Schlosser Alt, Frankenheim Alt, and Pinkus Alt
Unique properties - True top cropping yeast, low ester formation, broad temperature range affects styles. Will ferment cold; 55° F range, (13° C) producing lager characteristics including sulfur production. Style is noted for dry, crisp characteristics. Fermentation at higher temperatures (70-75° F, 21-24° C) may produce some mild fruitiness. Extremely poor flocculating yeast, generally remains significantly in suspension without treatment or filtration. Pad filtration is often difficult. Brewer's benefit from DE filtration or centrifuging. Maturation: Beers mature fairly rapid, even when cold fermentation is used. Low or no detectable diacetyl, alcohol tolerance approximately 11% ABV. Flocculation - low; apparent attenuation 73-77%. (55-68° F, 13-20° C)

1010 American Wheat. A dry fermenting, true top cropping yeast which produces a dry, slightly tart, crisp beer. Ideal for beers where a low ester profile is desirable, a good alternative for Alts and Kölsch, along with American Style Hefeweizen. Flocculation - low; apparent attenuation
74-78%. (58-74º F, 14-23° C)

3333 German Wheat Yeast. Subtle flavor profile for wheat yeast with unique sharp tart crispness, fruity, sherry-like palate. Flocculation - high; apparent attenuation 70-76%. (63-75° F, 17-24° C)
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Not sure about the yeast but I must say that my variation on your Blue Balls Wit has been a big hit with my friends and family. Both with those that appreciate beer and those that don't really drink beer. Not many in my family are BMC drinkers so I don't have data on that subject.
I had a Mild, an Oatmeal Stout, an IPA and your Wit. A couple people preferred the Stout, a couple the IPA, but a half dozen or more really like the Wit, including my wife. Looks like I will have to make more.

Craig

Old 06-18-2007, 08:26 PM   #4
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 6

WLP001 or even WLP320.

I believe Boulevard uses the WLP001. For slight banana-clove, use 320. It is what I use in my Am. Wheat and everyone digs it.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 06-18-2007, 09:07 PM   #5
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron
Not sure about the yeast but I must say that my variation on your Blue Balls Wit has been a big hit with my friends and family. Both with those that appreciate beer and those that don't really drink beer. Not many in my family are BMC drinkers so I don't have data on that subject.
I had a Mild, an Oatmeal Stout, an IPA and your Wit. A couple people preferred the Stout, a couple the IPA, but a half dozen or more really like the Wit, including my wife. Looks like I will have to make more.

Craig
Glad to hear it. It's a staple at my house.

Thanks Cheese & Dude for the references and recommendations.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:14 PM   #6
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

I think WLP001, Wyeast 1056, or safale 05 (formerly US 56).

I think that's what most "American wheats" use, and that especially sounds like the best choice for what you're going for.

I just did a Bell's Oberon clone for summer quaffing--I used safale 05.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 06-18-2007, 09:38 PM   #7
Anti_EAC
Recipes 

I agree with the Dude

Old 06-18-2007, 10:37 PM   #8
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I used wlp320 in Dude's clone. It turned out pretty good, just a little to hoppy. I blame that on the fact I did not have a scale yet and just estimated it.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:57 PM   #9
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanh1801
I used wlp320 in Dude's clone. It turned out pretty good, just a little to hoppy. I blame that on the fact I did not have a scale yet and just estimated it.
On a scale of 1-10, how strong was the banana clove presence? (1 being none at all and 10 being pretty dominant)?

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 06-19-2007, 05:09 PM   #10
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

(1). I hate that taste and I can not detect it at all.

Quick Reply