Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > What you need to know about chocolate for brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #71
carguy13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

i know this is really old, but i just wanted to say this is awesome information and thanks to the OP

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #72
HopHoarder
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Great info here all around. I recently purchased some organic what look to be good quality cacao nibs to experiment with. I originally was just going to make a milk stout but thought cacao nibs would add a nice chocolate profile to it...kind of like a chocolate milk stout.
This is experimental but here's what I did yesterday...
I put 3/4 cup of nibs, 1/2 cup of Jim Bean bourbon and 1/4 cup of water and coarsely ground the mixture with a magic bullet. I boiled 8oz of lactose in 2c of water and added all of this into my secondary with roughly 3 gallons of the stout. I'm gonna let this sit for 10 days or so and bottle it. Right now I have some new krausen from the secondary fermentation from the sugars. I'll report back on how this little experiment worked.

In Secondary:Rakau/ Kohatu (Kohatu-Jak) IPA
In Secondary: Flanders Reds
[B]Chocolate Pecan Pumpkin Porter[B]

Recently Bottled:
Comet/ Belma IPA
TatFug IPA

Old 10-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #73
sparticus
Recipes 

This might be posted someplace already but Dutch Processed cocoa powder may be a better option to try to keep the bitterness down. Going to try it on my next batch of Moose Drool clone

Old 10-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #74
MuddyCreek
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 109

One of my better beers uses cocoa powder, boiled in water and then cooled added to the beer at kegging.

Admittedly, the flavor addition is probably less noticeable than the aroma addition, but it does make a fine beer.

Our Lineup

Muddy Creek Chocolate Stout: So good we named the brewery after it!

Skinny Cow IPA: In India, cows are sacred, that doesn't mean they feed em...

Good Time Wheat Ale: What the hell, I'll have a Good Time!

No Paddle Amber Ale: Up the creek without a paddle, may as well enjoy the ale.

Dirty Blonde Ale: You know you want one.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:37 PM   #75
JasonDawson
Recipes 

Great and clear information and is finally reached to me also, I have though about chocolate overtone beer and one guy previous forum posted his personal recipe also but I have to admit, I haven't tried it before. Any good chocolate including beer out there for sale, anywhere?

Old 10-21-2013, 03:24 AM   #76
zrule
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Bump

Old 11-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #77
sleewok
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I recently brewed a milk stout (http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/big-...tout-all-grain). I did a 10 gallon batch with 2lbs lactose (. I split the batch into 5 gallons with just milk stout, and the other 5 I added chocolate nibs. I haven't worked with the powder, but here is my experience with nibs for this batch. Both batches have been kegged and carbed (the milk stout is chilled, while the chocolate is conditioning still).

I ordered the nibs off of amazon (8oz, see link below). I tasted the nibs when I got them in. I really liked the taste, as in, I could eat them plain. I'm not sure if that is anything significant, but it could have some influence on the type of nib you want to use. I wouldn't use anything that didn't taste good!

I then ground the nibs to almost a powder in my coffee grinder. I dumped it all in a ball mason jar, and then covered in vodka (and shook it up). I let it site for a few days. The result was a solid mass of chocolate that was clumped together. I could actually see some of the oil separated from the ground beans.

I scooped it all out into a fine pantyhose sock and dropped it into the keg (held by floss).

It has been sitting for about a month now at about 65 deg. Here is what I have noticed...

HEAD - There is ZERO impact on head retention. In fact it seems like the opposite. There is a very thick/creamy head. I'm attributing this somewhat to the lactose. The head is also much darker than the milk stout version.

Regarding head retention. I believe the reason that it is not having a significant impact is because the fat is solid, and is not absorbing into the beer. If I had boiled in the nibs, then I think the result could be different. However, I have no fear of nibs impacting my head retention when used in secondary.

TASTE - The chocolate character is very subtle, but definitely noticeable compared to the milk stout. There is some grittiness, but I'm sure that will go away once I chill it. The original milk stout is a little too sweet for my taste. I was actually planning on scaling back the lactose to compensate. HOWEVER, the chocolate version is perfect. There is a much better balance resulting from the bitterness imparted by the nibs.

Hopefully this will help some of you in deciding how to add chocolate. I've read for hours and there is clearly no right way to do it!

BTW, here is the link for the exact nibs that I ordered:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3) Milk Stout
Fermentinating:
Chocolate Milk Stout

Reason: Add link for Nibs, and QTY of nibs, and specialty Malts

Old 11-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #78
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1444 Times on 1010 Posts
Likes Given: 2252

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleewok View Post
Hopefully this will help some of you in deciding how to add chocolate. I've read for hours and there is clearly no right way to do it!
I wouldn't be so sad if this truly helpful write up contained a link to the nibs purchased from Amazon.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #79
MindenMan
Recipes 

Liked 224 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Here you are:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...bs%2Caps%2C277

Old 11-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #80
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1444 Times on 1010 Posts
Likes Given: 2252

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindenMan View Post
Funny guy. I was asking specifically what he used. Amazon and I are good friends, I could have done that.

Quick Reply