New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > What yeast would you recommend for this particular Stout?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2009, 04:55 AM   #1
HomeBrewForAll
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What yeast would you recommend for this particular Stout?

Ok, so I have a recipe for this stout, but it does not recommend a particular yeast, it simply states to use an English Ale yeast. Here's the recipe.

Death Star Stout
This recipe is not only easy, but ****ing tasty as well:

Steep in 1 gallon of water at 165 degrees F for 30 minutes:
3/4 lb Roasted Barley
1/2 lb Crystal Malt
1/2 lb Chocolate Malt

Then add 2 gallons of water and
6.67 lbs of Dark Malt Extract (liquid)
6.67 lbs of Amber Malt Extract (liquid)

Bring to a boil, then add
1 oz of UK Target Hops
1 oz of UK Target Hops (20 minutes into boil)
1 oz of UK Target Hops (40 minutes into boil)
1 oz of Willamette Hops (50 minutes into boil)

transfer to Primary fermentation container, while straining, and add water and/or ice to get 5 gallons at 65-75 degrees F. Pitch English Ale yeast of your choice. Transfer to secondary fermentation container at 14 days. Bottle 3-4 weeks after secondary. Prime with either 1 and 1/4 cups of dry malt extract OR 3/4 cup of corn sugar. Rack and bottle. Age for 2 weeks to 2 months, depending on patience and taste.

EDIT: you can use fuggle hops, perferably English fuggles, instead of Target hops, as well as northern brewery or bullion hops.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2009, 05:18 AM   #2
Reno_eNVy

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Sounds pretty tasty!

As you're using UK hops I'd say used Wyeast Irish Ale (#1084) or Wyeast London Ale (#1028.) Both good at high alcohol levels, though London I believe will give you more of a dry taste.

Good luck!

Kegged: Strawberry Banana Blonde -- Sahti

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 04-17-2009, 05:36 AM   #3
HomeBrewForAll
Recipes 

Thanks mate. My roommate and I only have experience brewing light ales, so we're kinda clueless.

Oh, and does the amount of malt extract seem like a lot? Compared to our last two brews, it's pretty extreme.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:25 AM   #4
DanVader
Recipes 

nottingham, or safale us-04 would good choices for dry yeast. for liquid I generally use white labs wlp001 or wlp005. That is a lot of extract, I'd plan on 2 packs of dry or a healthy starter for a liquid. mrmalty.com has a good yeast pitch calculator.

good name for the beer. funny i never thought of it.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:12 AM   #5
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That is a ton of extract! In Beersmith I get around 1.100....that's gonna take months to chill out and be smooth and drinkable. I would drop it down to about 8 lbs total which will give you a stout in the mid 1.060's which is plenty stong and rich for a drinkable stout. beyond that you're getting into a different category of almost syrupy thickness and the possibility of underattenuation and cloying sweetness. If you do decide to use the 13.5 lbs of extract, then you should make a huge-ass starter and plan on not drinking your brew for 6 months or more. good luck.

oh, and yeast type. You could use any of the liquid yeasts mentioned above (w/ starter) or you could use S-04 as well, two packets of S-04 will ferment the crap out of a 1.065 stout. I just did the same last week, actually, for an oatmeal stout. S-04 is an english type yeast, too (the whitbread strain, I believe).

Last edited by snailsongs; 04-17-2009 at 11:15 AM.

Quick Reply