This actually turned out very well. As a newbie to lagers I panicked when I didn't have airlock activity after a couple days, so I wanted to pitch another vial of 830. My LHBS was out of 830, so I grabbed an 838. I don't know how wise it was to mix yeast strains, but all was well. It was a super clean beer and tasted malty and clean. I didn't even truly lager it. My basement temp was a fairly steady 54, so my primary and secondary temps were the same. Since then I got a spare fridge and temp. controller.
Now I would like to make something like this again. This time it will be:
2 lbs. Munich
1 lb. Vienna
1/2 lb. Carapils
1/2 lb. Smoked
Partial mash at 152 for 1 hr.
Bring to boil and add 3.3 lbs. Pilsen LME
Late extract addition 1 lb. Pilsen DME.
1 oz. Hallertauer @ 60 min.
1/2 oz. Hallertauer and 1/2 oz. Tettnanger @ 30 min.
1/2 oz. Hallertauer and 1/2 oz. Tettnanger @ 5 min.
Wyeast 2206 in a 1 liter starter.
Primary @ 55. Secondary @ 45
Comments/suggestions very welcome.