Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > What would you brew if you had this...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2009, 03:10 AM   #11
StAnthonyB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by khiddy View Post
Oh man, I LOVED that book. It even had me on the verge of tears at the end. What a great read about a great man.

As to the original question, I'd brew some beer, an ESB and a Mild, and an Old Ale (an ESB that you leave in secondary for six months or longer).
I read Alquist's books on him and that is what spurred me. I read Pearce's book on Hilaire Belloc which I highly recommend. And, perceivebly will end up reading about Knox in the future. My interest in English ales is, in fact, directly related to my discovery of the Oxford Movement and the greatest work of English literature, "The Lord of the Rings", which is a direct product of it. Without these men the current Apostolic constitution extending coverage of the Sarum use Anglicans may have not come been promulgated for quite some time yet.

Back to beer. In all my years of brewing I have never aged a beer. We have forgotten about some down cellar, but never deliberate aging.

I would really like to give that a try to Old Ale starting this coming year. I am on the hunt for 1.5L (50oz) champagne bottles; so that, I can age them on their sides. Once I get everything reconfigured for all-grain brewing, as I am turning over a leaf in being a better brewer, for January 2nd, and get a lock on my system efficiency, I should begin brewing Old Ale by June 1st with really whatever is leftover from the brewing season.

I have eyeballed Palmer's which uses dark treacle and some dark crystal and black malt. He talks about using 20# of grist for 5 gallons. I don't know if I'd use the treacle. I have found Goya makes pressed cane juice in little one pound discs. And, suppose I may up using that instead to ensure the gravity is up around 1.090.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply