Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > At what temp(s) should I ferment WLP566 (Saison II)?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2009, 10:28 PM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
I wasn't planning on using sugar. I got the impression that it isn't typically used in Saisons.
I don't know where you gleaned that impression, but sugar IS usually used in Saison, to dry the beer.

All the recipes I have come across call for a pound. I added mine in the fermenter after the krauzen intitially fell.

I am enjoying my saison now, and it is exquisite!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2009, 11:07 PM   #12
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Well, ok then. I guess I'll add some after a few days.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:58 AM   #13
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
I don't know where you gleaned that impression, but sugar IS usually used in Saison, to dry the beer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
Well, ok then. I guess I'll add some after a few days.
I changed my mind. I'm going to wait and see on this because after re-reading appropriate sections of Farmhouse Ales I see that almost all of the Belgian brewers, bar Fantome, use 100% malt grists. The key to the dry finish is very high attenuation, not adding sugar. I am going to let it ferment out, then maybe stir the yeast up a little to see if I can get it to drop a few more points, etc. I might employ a brett to help out for the last few points to give it a traditional sour tinge.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #14
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I use and love this yeast. Unlike most who have posted here, I do most of my fermentation below 70 F and it works just fine, with no danger of stalling. I did a Saison that ended up at 10 % (no added sugar) and the only thing I did was a periodic spin of the carboy to keep the yeast suspended.

I agree that the key is high attenuation not adding sugar to dry out a beer. A properly designed wort should dry out just fine with this yeast. I do find that this yeast does give a sweet finish to the beer, even with a low FG (like 1.008). I had a saison on tap and had drunk about half of it and then had to move it to replace another keg. In the process, the Saison got stirred up a bit and the next few glasses were a little cloudy and noticibly sweeter tasting (not the typically yeasty tasting). When the yeast settled back out, the sweetness went back down.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 08-30-2010, 09:29 PM   #15
drummstikk
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I started 5 gal of a 1.051 beer with the slurry from a chilled 2L starter of WLP566. I aerated with an aquarium pump for about 45 minutes. I fermented at 80F. After 24 hours, the gravity was 1.023. The beer tasted clean -- no hot alcohols. I added 1.3 lbs of agave nectar, for an estimated contribution of 8 gravity points. After 16 more hours, the beer was 1.011 and tasted strongly of hot alcohols.

WLP566 is supposed to ferment clean at 80F. In fact, it did ferment clean for the first > 50% of its attenuation. I pitched plenty of yeast and aerated. Even with the agave nectar, the estimated OG would have only been 1.059, so this is not a monstrously huge beer.

What's going on? Others seem to add sugar in secondary. Others ferment WLP566 at 80F without hot alochols. Has anyone done both -- fermented at 80F and added sugar in secondary?

Other ideas?

Old 08-31-2010, 01:12 AM   #16
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

How old is the beer? I would let it sit for a while, they might mellow.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:19 AM   #17
drummstikk
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I got a second opinion from a BJCP judge -- no hot alcohols. I think I may have just tasted not long after brushing my teeth....

Old 01-18-2013, 03:34 AM   #18
Gus_13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdburg View Post
One of the commemorative beers at the NHC this year was a Saison, and a very good one. It was brewed by Tomme Arthur of The Lost Abbey.

The details are at the link below, but he used White Labs WLP566 Belgian Saison II and fermented it at 76. Looking at the recipe, it don't even look like he started lower and let it rise.

Commemorative Beers
Raising a thread from the dead...

Does anyone happen to have this recipe? I did a search but wasn't able to find it.
Bottled/Conditioning: BDSA #3 - Wallonian Farmhouse Ale - IIPA w/ Mosaic, Citra and Simcoe
Secondary: BDSA Rum Barrel Aged - Wild Ale - Sour Saison with Peaches
Primary: Year 1 Lambic
On Deck: Saison w/ Brett - Oud Bruin - House Sour for Blending - Tripel w/ Honey
Untappd: Gus_13
Twitter: @aaddkison

Quick Reply