What styles/recipes benefit the most from fresh hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyraindreams

Reaction score
Just found out my neighbour's mom has a ton of hops growing at her house and they are going to be ready for harvest in the next few weeks, since this is a once a year opportunity and my first ever for brewing I was wondering what I could brew that would benefit from fresh hops the most, something I could plan to start shortly after we pick our crop.

I was thinking ESB or a Pale Ale but I really don't know... so any recommendations?

Also I understand that 60% of fresh hop weight is water, should that effect the amount I use in my brewing? Any advice would be helpful since I have no idea what to do...

Oh and recipes recipes recipes, we will both(neighbour too) want to brew with fresh hops and we wont want to brew the same thing to maximize our experimentation.

We will allegedly have the equipment to do BIAB by then but were only extract capable at the moment...

A pale sounds good with fresh hops. As far as water weight, no, don't adjust your water volume based upon what is in the hops.

Styles that emphasize hop flavor and aroma will be best with the fresh hops. In Oregon there's a fresh hop festival every year and almost all of the beers are pales or IPAs - though you will find a few other styles in there as well.

You should be able to use an existing recipe and just adjust the hops quantities. Wet hops have a 5-6:1 ratio with dried. So if you'd add 1oz @ 15 min that would become 6oz @15, etc... Also, it seems like (from reading I've done) that most people still use dried hops for bittering additions and then use the fresh hops for late flavor/aroma editions. I think this is mainly a practicality thing so you don't end up with 2+ lbs of hops in a 5 gal batch.

Back