Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > What is responsible for making hop aroma(s) & flavor(s) so different from one another

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
EyePeeA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default What is responsible for making hop aroma(s) & flavor(s) so different from one another

Does anyone know of any recent and thorough weblinks that details total hop oil %, myrcene, caryophyllene, humulene, farnesene, selinene, etc.

I'm trying to research to the differences between American and non-American hops, aside from the average alpha acid %. I am specifically interested in the flavor and aroma contributions. And I have a feeling it has to do with the total oil content and the specific compounds that make up the hops.

I want to know if there's a link between total oil content and these compounds that help to bring out those floral citrus, fruity, and piney flavors (as opposed to European hops where we get spicy, earth, grassy hay).

This was the only link I could find:

http://www.usahops.org/index.cfm?fus..._info&pageID=7

I would like to cross-reference it w/other links for accuracy & up-to-date info since some varieties are missing and/or partial data is given.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I use that usahops.org link is as well.

I've noticed a strong tie between high total oil content and/or high levels of myrcene, and those typical citrusy, fruity, piney aromatics. This seems to be prevalent in American Pacific Northwest hops and some New Zealand varieties.

You do not always see high oil and high myrcene together, but at least one of the two always exists. Though you never see a high oil content hop with high levels of the other compounds and extremely low levels of myrcene. We tend to see lower total oil content and lower levels of myrcene in European hops. So that might be a big part of the link you are searching for.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
gbarron
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The Hopunion website has a nice 'Hop Variety Handbook' on their website that has a lot of information in it that you may find helpful.

Keg: Rye Saison, Belgian Golden Strong, DIPA, Citra IPA, English Barleywine aged on rum/oak, ESB, Vienna-fest, American-Oatmeal Stout
Secondary: Oud Bruin/Dark Sour, Rye Saison w/ Brett., Belgian Dark Strong, American Barleywine
Primary: Black Rye DIPA, Vermont IPA
On Deck: ESB, RIS, DIPA, German Pils

Old 12-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
acidrain23
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Try this website: http://beerlegends.com/hops-varieties, tons of data on % of oils, myrcene, humulene, caryophyllene, farnesene, etc. Interesting stuff!

Old 12-11-2012, 01:14 AM   #5
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Not real thorough but here's some info: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23186043.

I don't think the total oil amount has that big of a correlation to the individual aroma characteristic specific to the varieties as much as the amount of certain compounds contained within each variety. Eugenol=spiciness, Linalool=floral, Geraniol, Citral, Neral=citrus etc., etc.. Most all hops contain a great big list of these types of compounds but it's the proportions in which they're found that gives each variety it's very own unique aroma. Keep looking and I'm sure you'll find a bunch of stuff on the internet.

Hoppy Trails!

Old 12-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
Beezer94
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 33

www.hopsteiner.com has a pretty thorough list of hop varieties from all over the world.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
14thstreet
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've just started reading "For the Love of Hops" by Stan Hieronymus and it begins to touch on what you are asking. This is turning out to be an interesting book. Unfortunately, your efforts of finding a somewhat simple correlation won't be so simple.

On Deck: Kumquat Kolsch

Old 12-12-2012, 11:57 PM   #8
wileaway
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Much of the beginning of this paper is devoted to compounds in hops that contribute to flavor. Dry, but pretty fascinating.

http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xm...pdf?sequence=1

Quick Reply