Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > What recipe....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2006, 03:37 PM   #11
WeretheBrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

quick question....

If i have a 6.5 gallon pail, and a 5 gallon carboy... can i make two batches at once?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2006, 03:41 PM   #12
cweston
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeretheBrews
quick question....

If i have a 6.5 gallon pail, and a 5 gallon carboy... can i make two batches at once?
Yes--but you want to make sure you time it right so you're not rushing beer 1 in order to accomodate beer 2.

If you follow the 1-2-3 principle (1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, 3 weeks bottle conditioning), then you can brew beer number two when beer number 1 has been in the secondary for a week. Then a week later, you bottle beer 1, clean and sanitize the carboy, and rack beer 2 into secondary.

On average, you can brew every two weeks with one primary and one secondary. If you get a second carboy secondary, you can brew (on average) once a week. This also gives you the advantage of being able to leave a batch in secondary longer than two weeks if it seems to need it, without it holding up the next batch.

Higher alcohol beers may need longer in each stage, though.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply