Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > What is Optic Malt?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2007, 06:31 PM   #11
zoebisch01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy
Well do a little research and share it. I'm learning as I go.

The wiki is very, very new and need as many people to add to it and populate as possible to make it a valuable resource for us all. It'll take a long time but it should idealy suite the needs of this forum and future users.
I agree with what you are saying Orfy, it is true but it seems that the Wiki is good as a general reference. I have contributed to the Wiki and think it is a good idea, but believe it will always be limited to giving the facts, but what about when someone is looking for another person's opinion (like in this thread )? I just don't want to buy 50 lb of the stuff (my LHBS doesn't carry it so small amounts are out), but if it is similar to Pale Ale malt (Like Briess 2 Row Pale the 3 lov one, not the base Pale) I might buy a bag.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2007, 06:39 PM   #12
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

One should support the other. A knowledge base is always a good thing.

I'd say this forum opened my eyes to AG brewing, I used knowledge bases to fill in the majority of the gaps and continue to learn and form opinions based on the knowledge. ideas, opinions, experiments and debates on this forum and again back it up with reading articles on the net.

This forum would be stale if questions aren't asked and answered sometimes repeatedly.

Things like the Wiki and the recipe database just give it a more structured and solid foundation.

To tell you the truth the info in the Wiki about the optic malt is only there because you asked the question. I went and topped up my knowledge before answering and also added the info I found to the wiki. It is now there for good and will help any one else find the info.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:52 PM   #13
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Off topic - which brewery is selling you the sacks? You can PM me if you perfer not to post it

Old 02-21-2007, 10:14 PM   #14
JasonCajda
Recipes 

In the Northern Brewer catalog that came with my last order it say Fawcett Optic Pale malt "Optic is a barley variety widely grown in the UK. We have been impressed with its highly aromatic qualities".

Old 02-21-2007, 10:16 PM   #15
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

zoebisch01,

So, they're willing to sell a sack to you - assuming we're talking about the same place. I only go there every couple of months. These days I mostly drink my own. I've got another friend here in town who might also be interested if you wanted to get a couple of different kinds and split them up. On my grocery list is some more pale and some pilsner malt.

PM me if you're interested.

Philip

Old 02-22-2007, 12:22 AM   #16
Dr Malt
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

"Optic malt" is malted barley made from a UK spring barley called "Optic". It can be malted and processed to be any kind of malt (base, or specialty) but what I see for sale via the homebrew stores is a base malt with a color about a 2 L. This would make it a pale ale malt.

Dr Malt

Quick Reply