Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > What makes a great DIPA; Imperial IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
greggor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What makes a great DIPA; Imperial IPA

I would like to collect information on the essential components on making a great Imperial IPA (DIPA) comments about a single aspect or ingredient or your whole recipe or process. or even your favorite beer and why you like it.
example;
Include your favorite commercial example, the water profile, base grains, specialty grains, adjuncts and simple sugars, other kettle additions like yeast nutrient, and finings, hop combinations, timing of the hop additions, whether you bag your hops, have you used concentrated hop oils, first wort hopping, hop backs, dry hoping schedules, hopping in your serving keg, pushing through a Randal, the yeast you use, yeast starters stepping up your yeast, dropping yeast out before your dry hop. Mash temperature, separating hop matter and trub techniques. Fermentation temperature, Raising that fermentation temp for your dry hop, cold crashing and removing yeast, filtering,. Bottling; what type of priming sugar and how much, do you add fresh yeast to prime. And finally what you feel makes a great tasting DIPA aroma, flavors; citrus, dank, tropical fruit, maltiness, sweetness, bitter hop taste, mouthfeel; dry, thick, sweet, boozy/alcohol warming,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
Jakeintoledo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Three Floyds Dreadnaught, in my opinion, is a great example. IPAs, to me, actually seem MORE hoppy than a DIPA like Dreadnaught. I could be wrong, but that's what I like about a DIPA over an IPA.

Jake in Toledo

Primary: Privateer English Pale Ale
Kegged: VEE HAFF VAYS AUF MAKING YOU TALK LOUDLY Dunkel
Bottled: Pacific Pride (American) Pale Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply