The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > What ingredient makes for soapy IPAs (even in commercial brews)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #11
bobbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Abundant use of Floral-Citrusy late and dry hops in a dry, crisp, clean beer. Cascade comes to mind. You get a similar soapy/citrusy quality with fresh cilantro (herb) in cooking.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #12
danio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That makes sense. One of my soapiest beers was an IIPA with continuous hopping starting at 7.5 mins using Amarillo, Simcoe and Citra all mixed together. I guess the question is, then, can the problem be counteracted with lots of gypsum like that article says. I didn't add that much gypsum (I start with 100% RO) to the IIPA I just mentioned. With the Pliny I made recently I added like 3tsp of gyp for a 5gal batch and I don't recall if it was soapy or not (don't think it was.)

Old 10-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #13
jaynik
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 12 Posts

For the scent, I do think its hops. I happen to have a "soapy" impression from stone ipa. (Gross)

What I'm describing is a very grandmotherly soap kind of aroma and associated bitterness.

I thought this was a reaction to centennial hops because those in too high a concentration can be rough. I do like bells type recipes though.

Describe your "soapy flavor".

Old 10-09-2012, 12:42 AM   #14
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 290

I think it may have more to do with certain batches of hops and how they're handled rather than a particular variety, although that could be as well. I've never picked up any soapy flavors from Citra but I have gotten a puckery tangy flavor from them when I slacked off and left them in the dry hopping for 3 weeks.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:43 AM   #15
danio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My soapy flavor I'm describing is just a faint hint...more a flavor than a texture in the back of your mouth. It's not always there and very subtle but when you notice it you are always looking for it. In most brews its obviously not there but like I said in Torpedo and some of my homebrews that are over the top hoppy I do get it.

It is dramatically different and more pronounced than the soap you get from sitting on hot trub for too long. I did that to a batch once (4-5 weeks in the primary at 85-90+ heat on accident...*smacks head*) and man was that awful. Way different though.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:53 AM   #16
GRBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts

I got major soap flavor from a Two hearted Ale cone with all Centennial hops. Had to finally dump it after a yeomans effort to choke it down! I don't get it from the real THA from Bells or other commercial beers. Also not sure if the problem was my hops or something else in that batch?

Old 10-09-2012, 02:00 AM   #17
danio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm guessing if it was that pronounced it wasn't what we're talking about. I've never even considered dumping a batch with 'hop soapiness.' I did dump it, though, when I let the batch sit on the yeast cake way too long in high temps. Maybe that was it?

Quick Reply