Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > What grains should I get???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2011, 06:31 AM   #1
Brulosopher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Default What grains should I get???

My wife just bought me a BarleyCrusher (rad) and I'm trying to figure out what grains I should start out with. I'll buy one 50 lb bag of base plus others in 1 to 10 lb amounts. Here's what I'm thinking:

50 lbs NW Pale Malt (prefer MO, but this is cheaper)
5 lbs C20
5 lbs C40
5 lbs C90
5 lbs Wheat Malt
10 lbs Munich Light
1 lb Roasted Barley
2 lb Chocolate

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 398 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 602

I only buy 2-row in bulk. Everything else I just stop by the store or order on the internet. I go through 2 row pretty quick so I know I can keep it fresh. The specialty malts, I'm not sure how long they will sit around. When I do buy the other grains, I always buy a pound or two extra. So I have a nice little stock for days I want to spontaneously brew. Of the grains you have there, I could see my self using the Munich.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
Surly
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a list of house beers that I rotate. Almost all use Safale 05 so I wash my yeast every third batch or so.

I also plan a brewing schedule designed to provide me hoppy beers and then pale or amber ales as a change up.

That list of five to seven beers provides me a base supply plan. From there I can now begin to purchase my specialty grains in bulk.

If I should want to brew a Stout, not one of the beers I consider my, "house brands" I will add it to the rotation and slip the necessary ingredients into my shopping list.

I also take the seasons into account as I rotate my brewing schedule to allow me seasonal beers to serve.

I watch my inventory and track it in Beersmith. I have a running shopping list that I keep handy as I never know when I am passing by a LHBS.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 925 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 1998

I use organic grains when possible. I buy quite a bit in bulk. I have bags of Gambrinus Pale Malt, Wheat and Munich. I also have 10 -15 lbs each of 20L and 60L caramel malt, which I bought in 55 lb bags and then split with some other members of my homebrew club.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:19 AM   #5
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Thanks, all! This has been helpful. How many bags of base do you usually buy at the same time? My LHBS sells 50 lb bags of Pale for $49.99 (+ tax), while MoreBeer has it for $37... but shipping is about $17. Any better deal out there?

Quick Reply