Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > What is a double IPA?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2010, 04:51 PM   #11
Teacher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
I like a bit of gypsum in the water/wort to up the sulfate content.
This will help a lot. Gypsum enhances (or maybe merely alters...I've heard different takes) the hop character and bitterness, which can help to mask some of the residual sweetness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aMillionDreams View Post
Adding table sugar to reduce sweetness? I see I still have a LOT to learn!
It sounds counter-intuitive, but think about it this way: malt water/extract isn't completely fermentable. There are plenty of things the yeasts leave behind, including complex sugars that add to body and sweetness. Sugar, on the other hand, is completely fermented out, so only alcohol is left behind. Alcohol is perceived as being "dry" in taste (think of taking a shot of vodka), so not only are you boosting the gravity without adding unfermentables, but the extra alcohol may indeed increase the perception of dryness.

Reason: typo

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #12
ksbrain
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The 120 is not a "Triple IPA". It's just a 20% ABV monster that defies classification. Even the 90 is a bit sweet to me.

I like a "Double IPA" at around 8-9% ABV and 100 IBU with liberal late hop additions including two or three ounces dry hopped.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply