What does the term SMaSH mean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/single-malt-single-hop-45890/

This and many other brews/discussions on HBT gave rise to the term SMaSH.

Single Malt and Single Hop recipe.

It can be done with extract, extract and steep, partial mash and all grain brewing.

The idea is us use it to learn how malt and hop combinations taste.

Here was my first SMaSH recipe. (From 2007)

Following the KISS principle.

Single malt variety
Single hop variety
Single Infusion
Single Stage fermentation
image1iu8.jpg

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Single Malt Ale Brewer: Orfy
Style: English Pale Ale/Strong Bitter
TYPE: All Grain Taste:

Batch Size: 23.02 L Boil Size: 30.53 L
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 4.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

5.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett)
15.00 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop)
15.00 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (45 min)
15.00 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (30 min)
15.00 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (15 min)
15.00 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Batch Sparge.
Total Grain Weight: 5.00 kg
Add 13.05 L of water at 75.0 C 68.0 C 60 min

Thanks. Good info for those of us who go off and brew for months and come back periodically for new inspiration.

I thought I might try this idea.

Any thoughts on a SMaSH using Simpson's Golden Promise with Amarillo, Centennial or Simcoe?

There's plenty of SMaSH threads. I'm sure some one will have done one of those combination.
There is even an HBT SMaSH brewers group.

This was just to let people know what SMaSH is and where it came from.

SMaSH is such a great idea. I think, myself, as a homebrewer I often times try to do too much...too much emphasis on wild recipes or complicated hop schedules. Arguably the best Pilsner in the World...Urquell...is a SMaSH.

I absolutely love the SMaSH concept, one of my regular brews is a Golden Promise, Cascade SMaSH. I actually roast about 4 pounds of grain for different lengths of time to change the flavor profile a bit. Does this still count as a SMaSH or have I strayed from the original intent??

Yellow 70 Cooper

I always thought the "Ma" with the lowercase "a" stood for Malt, so "Single Malt Single Hop"... ?

Lower case letters generally (not always) denote an inferior or connecting words such as "of" or "and" or sometimes they are omitted entirely....

Sometimes meanings get mixed up, just like KISS generally means Keep It Stupid Simple, I like to think of it as a reminder for myself Keep It Simple, Stupid :D

Made a great one a few months back, light and a nice beer to drink in the summer. Making more of it now, my friends loved it so have to be sure to have enogh to the summer comes :D

Type: All Grain
Date: 13.02.2010
Batch Size: 5,81 gal
Brewer: Terje Knudsen
Boil Size: 7,00 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35,0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75,00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9,59 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (3,0 EBC) Grain 100,00 %
1,76 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4,10 %] (60 min) Hops 24,0 IBU
1 Pkgs German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1,045 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1,047 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1,011 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1,008 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4,44 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5,08 %
Bitterness: 24,0 IBU Calories: 205 cal/pint
Est Color: 5,5 EBC Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out Total Grain Weight: 9,59 lb
Sparge Water: 5,15 gal Grain Temperature: 53,6 F
Sparge Temperature: 168,1 F TunTemperature: 68,0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5,4 PH

Doing some SMASH (single malt and single hop) would be a great idea, you really get to know the flavors of the ingredients that way.

Great information orfy!

Brewed my first all grain this weekend, and it was a SMaSH!

10 lbs. Maris Otter (OG 1.056)
4 oz US Goldings (1 oz at 60, 30, 15, 0)
S-04 pitched dry.

It's fermenting nicely on day three. I'm considering dry-hoping with an ounce as well if my gravity sample seems light on hops.

Great idea!
Hmmm... Pale Castle malt and Styrian golding at 60, 20 and flame out. I might do that right now! The quickest I've ever made a recipe! :)

I never knew what it meant either. Great idea though. I'll give it a try for my next batch.

I have a lot of extra Munich and was thinking of using it with Hallertau and 2206 yeast for a lager SMaSH. Any thoughts?

This just belongs here. One of my favorites.

You can make tons of styles with a SMaSH.

My personal favorite:

10 lbs Vienna Malt
1 oz Northern Brewer (8.8%AA) @ 60 min
1 oz Northern Brewer (8.8%AA) @ 20 min
1 oz Northern Brewer (8.8%AA) @ 5 min
Nottingham yeast

Best beer I've ever brewed.

Making a SMASH beer is a great way to get acquainted with a particular base malt or single hop variety. Be careful or you might get SMASHED!

Can you smash with something like chocolate malt, or does it need to be one of the base malts?

You want a base malt. Chocolate doesnt have very much fermentable sugar left after being roasted. It would make for a very unfermentable wort.

I've definitely been thinking about doing something along these lines, and after reading through the thread (and seeing how many great beers people are ending up with), I'm definitely convinced that's my next project. What I'm thinking though, is doing a handful of 6-pack AG brews, and having different single hops in each with the same grain bill, which would let me compare the different hops in a standard format

I've definitely been thinking about doing something along these lines, and after reading through the thread (and seeing how many great beers people are ending up with), I'm definitely convinced that's my next project. What I'm thinking though, is doing a handful of 6-pack AG brews, and having different single hops in each with the same grain bill, which would let me compare the different hops in a standard format

I was thinking the same thing. All my beer has been made by following someone ease's recipe. Making a batch of something and then making a change in one ingredient would give me a much better understanding of what I am doing. Breaking a batch into 1 gallon sub batches seems about right. Or maybe just into a half batch.

Well, I hate to wake a sleeping giant, but I figured I'd kick this thread into gear again as I made myself a nice 5 gal batch of MO/Fuggles SMaSH last night. I received a delivery of fresh, locally grown, organic hops yesterday (rain-barrell watered!) and I figured I should really do the fuggles justice and showcase them purely.
My recipe is almost the same as Orfy's but I added a 0.5oz aroma hop inclusion at 0min:

11lb Maris Otter
1oz Fuggles (60min)
1oz Fuggles (45min)
1oz Fuggles (30min)
1oz Fuggles (15min)
0.5oz Fuggles (pellets were all I had left) (0min)

Mash temp 158F for about 1h20min.
Boil for 60 min.

I was brewing until about 3 am because my mash tun kept getting jammed up. I ended up having to suck on the hose to get enough liquid out... it was a sad state of affairs, but I wasn't going to let my 2 hours of grinding go out the window. I ended up with a really nice boil, so my fingers are crossed that this will turn out!

RO water + 4gm CaCl2 + 1gm CaSO4
10lb Briess Pils
Double decoction 131-155-165ºF
1.5oz leaf German Spalt Select 5.6% @60
1.5oz leaf German Spalt Select 5.6% @10
Wyeast 2308 @50ºF

Makes a great German Pilsner that tastes a lot like Trumer.

My Columbus Pale SMaSH BIAB One of my best!

malt & fermentables
LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG
4 8 American Two-row Pale
1 8 American Two-row Toasted 275° for 45 minuteshops

USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
boil 60 mins 0.25 Columbus pellet 15.4
boil 5 mins 0.25 Columbus pellet 15.4

Batch size: 3.0 gallons
Original Gravity
1.048 measured
(1.053 estimated)
Final Gravity
1.014 measured
(1.013 estimated)
Color
8° SRM / 16° EBC
(Gold to Copper)
Mash Efficiency
68% measured
(75% used for O.G. estimate)

Boil: 4.0 avg gallons for 60 minutes
Bitterness
32.0 IBU / 4 HBU
ƒ: Tinseth
BU:GU
yeast
Wyeast American Ale (1056)
Alcohol
4.5% ABV / 4% ABW
(5.3% est. ABV / 4% est. ABW)
Calories
174 per 12 oz.

I will be doing this again. Probably a 5 gallon batch next time.

I'm trying a variation on the SMaSH concept. I am holding a base grain and hops constant and varying one additional grain (Dual-MaSH?). I am making these as small 1 gallon AG batches and my hope is to be able to quickly screen various grains to see what I really like. Here are the four I have going right now:

100% US Pale 2 row
~22 IBUs Fuggles
----
70% US Pale 2 row
30% Munich Malt
~22 IBUs Fuggles
----
70% US Pale 2 row
30% Rye Malt
~22 IBUs Fuggles
----
70% US Pale 2 row
30% Honey Malt
~22 IBUs Fuggles

Once they're ready to test I also plan on doing a little mixing and matching -- mix a volume of the Munich one with an equal volume of the Honey one to see what 70% Pale 15% Munich 15% Honey might be like.

Recently set up my fermentation chamber (converted freezer) w/ temp control, so having brewed my house pale, I'm planning on doing a clean SMaSH next. The plan (for a 4 gallon batch):

8 lbs Rahr Pale Ale Malt
2 oz Palisades 7.1% AA (.5 @ 60min, .5 @ 15min, 1oz @ 2min)
Nottingham at 57F

Excited to see what comes out. I've never used Palisades but I wanted something that was interesting and aromatic but also quite smooth. What I've read suggests Palisades fits the bill nicely.

Should be a good, refreshing beer for moving apartments at the end of August!

I've recently collected the following and will be trying various combinations:

50lb Briess 2-row
25lb Briess Vienna

1lb Cascade pellets 5.6%AA
1lb CTZ pellets 13.1%AA
1lb Styrian Golding pellet 6.1%AA
1lb Spalt pellets 1.5%AA
1lb Willamette pellets 4.3%AA
12oz Galaxy pellets 14.8%AA
8oz Chinook pellets 11.8%AA
4oz Amarillo pellets 9.2%AA
4oz Fuggles pellets 5.7%AA

3 packs Safale US-05 yeast
2 packs Danstar Nottingham yeast
2 packs Wyeast 1010 American Wheat
1 pack Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

Think I've got enough to start? :rockin:

I'm doing a psuedo-SMaSH tomorrow that I look forward to. Rahr Pale Ale malt plus about 5% flaked wheat for mouthfeel and head retention. 40 IBUs of Chinook hops, split between a FWH and a 5 minute addition. US-05. Simple, but looking forward to it quite a bit, as some of my favorite beers have been SMaSHes.

Here's a SMaSH for you:
http://***********/component/k2/item/2797-new-albion

Recipe

New Albion Ale clone
(5 gallons/19 L, all-grain)
OG = 1.055 FG = 1.011
IBU = 30 SRM = 4
ABV = 5.7%

Ingredients

11.5 lbs. (5.2 kg) Great Western premium 2-row malt
3.6 AAU Cascade hops (60 min) (0.6 oz./17 g at 6% alpha acids)
3.6 AAU Cascade hops (30 min) (0.6 oz./17 g at 6% alpha acids)
3.6 AAU Cascade hops (15 min) (0.6 oz./17 g at 6% alpha acids)
1 tsp. Irish moss (15 mins)
Wyeast 1028 (London Ale) or White Labs WLP013 (London Ale) yeast (1.4 qt./1.3 L yeast starter)
1 cup corn sugar (for priming)

Step by Step

Mash at 148 °F (64 °C) for 1 hour in 16 qts. (15 L) of brewing liquor.
Sparge with 170 °F (77 °C) water over 90 minutes to collect 6 gallons (23 L) of wort (or however much pre-boil wort will yield 5 gallons (19 L) after a 1 hour boil).
Boil wort for 60 minutes, adding hops at times indicated.
Chill the wort rapidly to 68 °F (20 °C), aerate and pitch the yeast.
Ferment at 68 °F (20 °C).

Extract with grains option

Reduce the amount of 2-row malt to 2.0 lbs. (0.91 kg) and add 5.0 lbs. (2.3 kg) of light dried malt extract.
Steep grains at 148 °F (64 °C) for 45 minutes in 3 qts. (2.8 L).
Add roughly one third of the malt extract and add water to make at least 3.0 gallons (11 L) and boil for 60 minutes, adding hops as indicated.
Add remaining malt extract in final 15 minutes of the boil.
Cool wort, top up, aerate, pitch yeast and ferment.

I love brewing SMaSH beers. I'm a big fan of Vienna as a base malt good flavour and very versatile for different styles. :mug:

A favourite being Vienna malt, Cascade and WLP 029 Kolsch.

So this might be a stupid question (Would I be asking it here if it weren't?!?) but can you use a grain that generally isn't a base grain. Like, say, Crystal 150 or something? I mean, I know I could but is it even worth it? It just happens to be on sale from AHS and I'm a college kid trying to save a couple bucks. ;)

So this might be a stupid question (Would I be asking it here if it weren't?!?) but can you use a grain that generally isn't a base grain. Like, say, Crystal 150 or something? I mean, I know I could but is it even worth it? It just happens to be on sale from AHS and I'm a college kid trying to save a couple bucks. ;)

Nope. Crystal malts don't have any diastatic power. Mashing with only a crystal malt (or any other grain with low/no diastatic power) would leave you without fermentable sugars in the wort.

If you're really trying to save a few bucks, buy base malt in bulk, either directly through your LHBS or through a group buy in your area. It's a big cost-saver to get a 50lb sack.

Nope. Crystal malts don't have any diastatic power. Mashing with only a crystal malt (or any other grain with low/no diastatic power) would leave you without fermentable sugars in the wort.

If you're really trying to save a few bucks, buy base malt in bulk, either directly through your LHBS or through a group buy in your area. It's a big cost-saver to get a 50lb sack.

Thanks a bunch! That's exactly what I needed and a great thing to know about for a new brewer. Much obliged! :mug:

Likely it's been done before but just want to throw out support for a 6-row/centennial smash. Did it at 30 ibu (biggest contribution @ 20 min), 4%, and clean US-05 for a delicious summer "APA". Very grainy, and just a tiny bit of fruit (which I think came from the hops, but may be from a slightly warm ferment), and zero pine. 8/10 Would brew again.

Back