Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > What do you think of my cream ale recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #11
BigHead33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

BTW when you say "finished", do you mean adding the CaCl in after the boil? I always add my salts in the strike and sparge water and calculate the amount needed by the volumes of water.

I calculated your recommended addition into my water profile and I came up with Ca 86ppm and Cl 139 ppm. Are these good levels for a cream ale?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #12
BrewerMikey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

BigHead33, how did the brew come out? I am thinking of making a 5 gal batch using 2Row, some Vienna malt, whole kernel corn and some rice to aid with head retention. I only have a yeast choice of S-33 or T-58. I am thinking S-33 but would like to hear from others. Thank you.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #13
BigHead33
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I havnt brewed it yet. I am actually brewing it this Friday. I am looking forward to it. I will let you guys know how it comes out

Old 04-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #14
mjohnson
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHead33 View Post
BTW when you say "finished", do you mean adding the CaCl in after the boil? I always add my salts in the strike and sparge water and calculate the amount needed by the volumes of water.

I calculated your recommended addition into my water profile and I came up with Ca 86ppm and Cl 139 ppm. Are these good levels for a cream ale?
I think she means 2 teaspoons for 10 gallons of finished beer, added to your brewing water (strike/sparge). You could probably use a little less CaCl to get the Ca to about 50. I usually end up doing about .7g/gal or so

I like to split my base malt with pilsner and a us 2-row. I think it gives it a really nice malt character. Honey might be good, but I usually just add sugar to help dry it out. I tend to associate pilsner malt with a slight honey flavor, anyway, so adding honey on top of that might be too much for my palate.

I also dry hop with Saaz for about a week. Maybe its gilding the lilly, but I like it.

I'm brewing one on Friday too. Can't wait!

Old 04-24-2013, 12:22 AM   #15
BigHead33
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the tips. I have a bunch of 2 row that i need to use, but next time I will try the pilsner split. It sounds interesting.

Quick Reply