Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > What do you think of this Imperial Hefeweizen Recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
kinkothecarp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default What do you think of this Imperial Hefeweizen Recipe?

12lbs Wheat Liquid Extract
4oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L

boil 60 mins 1.25 Zeus

Pitched onto Weihenstephan Weizen yeast cake from previous Hefewiezen Fermentation

8.8% ABV
28.0 IBU

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
rnrchemnerd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Somebody who does a lot of extract brewing needs to chime in here, but from what I recall...Extracts tend to finish with a higher FG than if you were to mash the grain yourself. For a beer that big, I would mash really long and low to get a more fermentable wort. With extract, you're stuck with whatever temperature the manufacturers mashed at (154°?). An all extract brew that big will end up finishing high and be cloyingly sweet. My suggestion would be to cut out a few pounds of the extract and replace with table sugar. That should dry it out some.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Meh, kind of yes and no. You'll probably get 70 - 75% attenuation if the fermentation doesn't get stuck.

I did a barleywine with 10lbs of DME. The fermentation did get stuck around 60% and I had to repitch. Repitching a starter on mine resulted in 80% attenuation.

Some honey to help dry it out and lighten the body might help it to not get stuck and keep it from taking on a wheat bock like character.

On deck: Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Hazelnut Sweet Stout, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

There's a name for that style, and it doesn't start with "Imperial."
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style15.php#1c

Old 05-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
Beernik
Recipes 

I don't know that I'd call it a weizenbock with no Munich malt in it, and he is very close to the upper limit of IBUs. Not to mention Zeus isn't typical for weizenbocks.

On deck: Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Hazelnut Sweet Stout, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:54 PM   #6
kinkothecarp
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

It's not a wizenbock. First, I'm not shooting for "Rich, bock-like melanoidins and bready malt combined with a powerful aroma of dark fruit (plums, prunes, raisins or grapes)". I just want it to be a stronger Hefe. I don't want the "rich strength and body of a bock," necessarily either. The book "Designing Great Beers" explains the history behind wizenbocks, and it's not just a stronger version of the Hefe, like what I'm making. Besides, it's probably closer to a "wheatwine". However, Pyramid Brewing calls theirs an Imperial Hefe. So I'll follow them.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:45 PM   #7
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

If you're using Weihenstephan yeast, you're likely to get a result similar to Vitus...

...which is a weizenbock.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:52 PM   #8
Beernik
Recipes 

Except for the lack of Munich malt and European hops, which would put it into #23 regardless of what he calls it.

What ever it's name, it's bound to taste interesting.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:29 AM   #9
kinkothecarp
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

but would it taste good do you think??

Old 05-22-2010, 01:07 AM   #10
Beernik
Recipes 

If you like hefes, big beers, and Zeus hops, I think you'll like it. It's definitely worth trying. It will probably take more aging than your typical hefe, though.

For my taste buds, I'd change it to DME because I thought I had better results with DME than LME. I'd use 1 or 2 lbs of honey, Candi sugar, or agave nectar to keep the body light. And I'd change the hops to Perle, Saaz, Tennanger, Wlliamette, and/or Progress because I like European hops more than American hops.

Quick Reply