Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > what can i make with these grains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2006, 02:48 PM   #1
kevy_kev
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default what can i make with these grains

I have 3 bags of grains left over from previous brews and would like to get something going with them before they get too old. Also my wife would be happy to get some room back in the freezer. Obvisouly I will need to get extract and hops.
I have:
~.5 lbs 10L
~.75lbs melanodin (sp?)
~.66lbs 40L

Any suggestions on what I can make?

Primary #1:
Secondary #1:
Stout Conical #1:
Keg #1: Celebration IPA
Keg #2: Oyster Stout
Keg #3: Apricot Ale

Gone: Pumpkin Porter, Founders Breakfast Stout Clone, Lemon Lime Hefe, Kiwi Express IPA, Holiday Red, OktoberFast, Rose Hip Honey Ale, Saison, Hot Chocolate Porter, Blonde, Mad Elf Clone, Raison D'Etre Clone, American Light, Oatmeal Stout, American Cream Ale, Doggy Bag (Leftover ingredients brew - California Common).......

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2006, 04:19 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can use those as steeping grains for a number of ales, amber, ESB, even a darker copper-IPA. I've never used melanoidin malt, and ProMash's database doesn't have anything filled in for the "used in" or "comments" fields. AHS's prod page sayeth, "Used in amber lager, dark lager or ale, Scottish Ale, amber ale, and red ale", so I'd try one of those, as they would all benefit from the crystal as well. What you should really do is get some scottish peated grains and steep with an ounce of that, along with these grains, then get, say, an amber or munich extract, and kablamo, you've got a Scotch (or Scottish) Ale.

My package just arrived from AHS ten minutes ago. The ice packs for the yeast were still cool. Keeping my fingers crossed. I ordered 2 lbs of scottish peated malt, and I expect it will go a LONG way, as it seems like it'll only take a tiny amount to add alot of smokiness. Good thing I have a Foodsaver! Anyway, sorry for the digression, but...if it were me, I'd go with a Scottish, as I'm a sucker for 'em.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 09-16-2006, 02:50 AM   #3
mbreen01
Recipes 

Personally, I'd use it in an IPA. You can add both the C-10 and the C-40 as steeped grains and use 6-7 pounds of light DME. Then go for the hops of your choice.

Let us know what you do.

Marc.

On tap & enjoying: Honey Wheat; Cheese's Caramel Cream Ale
Gone with a belch: Bock Talkit; Three Kings Better Bitter; Quake & Bake Oatmeal Stout; High Altitude Pale Ale
On deck: Garbage Pale Ale; Honey Wheat

Old 09-16-2006, 03:10 AM   #4
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Perhaps a Scottish Red or you could get started early on a Marzen and lager it all winter. Use about 6 lbs of light or amber extract, and I bet the color will be very rich!

Old 09-18-2006, 04:43 PM   #5
kevy_kev
Recipes 

hmm a scotch ale doesn't sound too bad. I had a few from the Sam Adams Variety pack and it was good.
any one have a recipe for a scotch ale that I could use these grains in? I found a lot using the melanoidin but nothing with the others, or at least one of the others.

Primary #1:
Secondary #1:
Stout Conical #1:
Keg #1: Celebration IPA
Keg #2: Oyster Stout
Keg #3: Apricot Ale

Gone: Pumpkin Porter, Founders Breakfast Stout Clone, Lemon Lime Hefe, Kiwi Express IPA, Holiday Red, OktoberFast, Rose Hip Honey Ale, Saison, Hot Chocolate Porter, Blonde, Mad Elf Clone, Raison D'Etre Clone, American Light, Oatmeal Stout, American Cream Ale, Doggy Bag (Leftover ingredients brew - California Common).......

Quick Reply