What can I expect from this yeast blend mistake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nipsy3

Reaction score
I did a Belgian Blonde with 8 lb pils and 1 lb dextrose and a starter of WLP500 basically to create a yeast cake to use for a Golden Strong on the next batch.

I was in such a hurry, that when I racked off my hefeweizen and drained that yeast cake into a sanitized container, I didn't rinse out the carboy before throwing the Blonde wort in and the WLP500 starter.

So what can I expect with the WLP500 Trappist and the WLP300 Hef residue that was already in the carboy? Will any of the WLP300 come through? What's it gonna do to my Strong Ale when I get ready for that?

personally i would start pitch the cake and go get a new culture of wlp500 and create a starter. When i did my belgian, the temp in my house was high enough that a hef in the same circumstance would have created ALOT of banana.
According to BJCP
Aroma:Esters are reminiscent of lighter fruits such as pears, oranges or apples. Moderate spicy, peppery phenols.
Appearance:Good clarity

The hef yeast will not floculate well leaving you with a cloudy beer. You may get some peppery/ spicy phenols at colder temps with the hef yeast but there will also be banana flavor which there is no mention of. On the other hand if your drinking this for you and not for competition its another story. I did a belgian dubbel with a slurry of wlp500 and saison yeast and it turned out killer. You never really know until you brew it.

-Go Steelers!

No competition here. Just looking for my new favorite beer. Do you think banana would really come through that much?

Steelers? Good god, man! We're in the Stanley Cup Finals here! Go Pens!

No competition here. Just looking for my new favorite beer. Do you think banana would really come through that much?

Steelers? Good god, man! We're in the Stanley Cup Finals here! Go Pens!

yea im from phili origionally...

As for the banana it depends what temp you ferment at and yes i think it will come through. Alot or a little it will still be there, and higher temps (above 69) will kick out more banana. The bigger issue is that your beer isnt going to be clear and hef's dont age well but belgians do. could be interesting but if this is going to be around longer than a few months i wouldnt do it but thats just me. In this case your on your own....do you have any way to control fermentation temp?

Back