What is the best way to use cinnamon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonvolt

Reaction score
I am planning a winter warmer/christmas ale. I have never done one of these before. I notice a lot of recipes use cinnamon and nutmeg and ginger. This sounds like a winning combination for such a beer. I might also use some sweet orange peel in it as well.

Anyway, I would love a recipe like this if someone has a good one.

Also, how should I use the cinnamon? I see recipes that call for a teaspoon, but I would rather use a cinnamon stick. Should I throw it in the boil, or should I add it to the secondary?

Toss two or three cinnamon sticks into the beer at flameout. If you use ground cinnamon, anything more than about a teaspoon per 5 gallons is overkill.

sonvolt said:
I am planning a winter warmer/christmas ale. I have never done one of these before. I notice a lot of recipes use cinnamon and nutmeg and ginger. This sounds like a winning combination for such a beer. I might also use some sweet orange peel in it as well.

Anyway, I would love a recipe like this if someone has a good one.

Also, how should I use the cinnamon? I see recipes that call for a teaspoon, but I would rather use a cinnamon stick. Should I throw it in the boil, or should I add it to the secondary?

I am happy to be a member of your community.

I have heard of cinnamon and I want to learn something about it.

Thanks.

I recently brewed a Holiday Ale extract kit that used 1tsp ginger, 1tsp nutmeg and 1 cinnamon stick (5 gallon batch). All of these were added during the last 10 minutes of the boil.

Toss two or three cinnamon sticks into the beer at flameout. If you use ground cinnamon, anything more than about a teaspoon per 5 gallons is overkill.

old thread reboot.... but I just learned this fact no less than 2 minutes ago after taking a sample of my first Winter Warmer. Honey cinnamon ale with 1 tbsp of cinnamon at flameout.

Ugh.... Wish I did a search on this first. It's totally drinkable and some people may even like it. I just feel it could have been a whole lot better with a Tsp of Cinnamon instead.

darnit.

Latest posts

Back