Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Weizen, hefe???? need some schooling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2006, 05:19 PM   #31
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Dry yeasts are cheap and convenient, all of which help attract new customers and send them down the path to enlightment and more expensive ingredients such as liquid yeast and steeping grains. As long as you like the beer there's really nothing to be upset about. Once you've got your process down and feel good about it you can start trying some more "intermediate" techniques/recipes, but it doesn't mean you'll like them any more or less than what you're doing now (taste being subjective and all).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2006, 05:22 PM   #32
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks....
Boy....Some things answered. The first two were WAY similar, yeast you say. Didn't really think yeast made all that much of a difference. I likened it to you are what you eat, and if you eat different stuff, so the yeast would excrete a different
flavor because the ingredients were a little different. Not true.
On the Steam style, wonder why they didn't put a dry lager yeast in there? Surely it couldn't have cost that much more.
You know another question comes to mind. All the extracts weigh in at 6.6 lbs, even if you take the conversion of the DME added with LME, it still comes out to 6.6 Is that the holy grail amount for extracts? What stops you from increasing that amount? Would that be too much fermentables?
If I changed the yeast, as suggested throughout this forum, would I now need to start thinking about blowoff tubes? Is this stuff going to go ape$hit?

Old 11-22-2006, 10:20 PM   #33
Mikey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

"CONTINENTAL PILSNER
Hop IBUs: 30 - 40
INGREDIENTS:
3.3 lbs. Plain Light Malt Extract
2 lbs. Plain Light Dry Malt Extract
12 oz. Crushed Carapils Malt
1 each Grain Steeping Bags
1 oz. Perle Hops (Bittering)
1 oz. Saaz Hops (Finishing)
1 each Beer Yeast, Nottinghams dry
Tap for wort. Ozarka Spring water for finishing"

That's not a Pilsener or a Pilsner or a Pils because of the yeast and associated fermentation temps. It's too light and got thte wrong hop profile to be a British or US pale ale. Could have been a Koelsch with a different yeast. Not sure what style it is...........

Old 11-22-2006, 10:43 PM   #34
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey
CONTINENTAL PILSNER...
Kind of reminds me of a "Continental Breakfast". I've been all around the world and the only place to get a CB is in the States. Other places just call it breakfast...of course it is also served WITH a full breakfast.

Old 11-23-2006, 02:12 AM   #35
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Grog
All the extracts weigh in at 6.6 lbs, even if you take the conversion of the DME added with LME, it still comes out to 6.6 Is that the holy grail amount for extracts? What stops you from increasing that amount? Would that be too much fermentables?
Many extract producers are not in this country, and so use the metric system. One can is 3.3 lbs, but it's exactly 1.5 kg, and two cans even makes a good average gravity beer, hence 6.6 lbs. If you were anywhere but here, the recipe would be 3 kg of extract. American producers often use just 3 lb. bags, so there is slightly less in the package.

As far as increasing the amount, you can. You end up with higher gravity, stronger beer. However, you then need to add more hops to balance out the malt. A weizenbock is a stronger version of weizen beers.
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 08-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #36
bembel
Recipes 

Default Kristal Weitzen

Can anyone suggest a good way to filter out the yeast to make a Kristal Weitzen?

Quick Reply