The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Weihenstephaner Original - Recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2008, 09:49 PM   #1
korndog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Weihenstephaner Original - Recipe?

Does anyone know a good recipe for this beer? A good bready Helles; I think WY2124 is the yeast from this brewery.

Thanks
KD

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Twitter: LarryKonis

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2008, 11:35 PM   #2
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I know that Wyeast 2124 and White Labs 830 are both from that brewery and are the same strand (Weihenstephan 34/70). This site will give you which strains of yeast come from where and which are analogous to each other. Good luck with the rest of the recipe.

KotMF: Yeast Comparison

Old 11-10-2008, 01:08 AM   #3
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker36 View Post
I know that Wyeast 2124 and White Labs 830 are both from that brewery and are the same strand (Weihenstephan 34/70). This site will give you which strains of yeast come from where and which are analogous to each other. Good luck with the rest of the recipe.

KotMF: Yeast Comparison
Thanks for that link. If I don't get anywhere on the recipe, i will just try to find a basic Helles recipe and use that yeast.

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Old 11-10-2008, 02:31 PM   #4
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 on the WLP830. See my dropdown, that beer kicked @$$, floated the keg in record time. For improved malt character you could do a double decoction mash and/or use more Munich malt which will give a bready character. I would stay away from any specialty malts in this brew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 11-10-2008, 02:44 PM   #5
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
For improved malt character you could do a double decoction mash and/or use more Munich malt which will give a bready character. I would stay away from any specialty malts in this brew.
If you do a decoction, I recommend watching Kaiser's decoction videos and be careful about that protein rest temp. You're probably better off starting in the mid 130s (then up to mid/upper 150s, then mash-out) with today's malts as opposed to the traditional 122 protein rest.

As for malts, you really only need Pilsner malt (German is best). You can add a little Cara-pils if you want or a little Munich malt... but don't add too much... you'd be surprised how a little light Munich malt can darken a Helles. One of the trademarks of a Helles is how light/bright it is (helles actually means "bright" in German). I know the BJCP style guides say SRM is 3-5, but many German versions are under 3.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 11-10-2008, 03:16 PM   #6
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Awesome feedback guys. Yeah, i was going to pull at least one decoction. Keep the specialty malts low, got it.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:35 PM   #7
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
If you do a decoction, I recommend watching Kaiser's decoction videos and be careful about that protein rest temp. You're probably better off starting in the mid 130s (then up to mid/upper 150s, then mash-out) with today's malts as opposed to the traditional 122 protein rest.
Yes this works wonders, I have done several step mashes with a 131*F rest (from Noonan's New Lager Brewing) followed by stepping up to the low 150s or high 140's depending on the gravity. Since I mash in a cooler I can do a direct step from protein to sacc rest and don't even need to decoct whereas a 122*F rest I use for wheat beers requires a decoction.

Whenever I have done this my yields are insane, I got 86% efficiency on a 1.090 tripel with this method... And the beer is so clear you could read a book through it. I do think it is well worth the trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 11-10-2008, 04:19 PM   #8
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Also, the hops... You may already know... in a Helles, flavor hops really aren't necessary and can easily overwhelm the malt profile. However, I think a smidgen (maybe 1/4 oz per 5 gallon batch) of aroma hops at like 1 or 2 minutes is nice in a Helles. I've done Helles with only bittering hops and with a touch of aroma hops and I've noticed a real difference... it's nice to catch that faint wiff of hops aroma in the head when you put the glass up to your mouth.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 11-10-2008, 04:42 PM   #9
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
Also, the hops... You may already know... in a Helles, flavor hops really aren't necessary and can easily overwhelm the malt profile. However, I think a smidgen (maybe 1/4 oz per 5 gallon batch) of aroma hops at like 1 or 2 minutes is nice in a Helles. I've done Helles with only bittering hops and with a touch of aroma hops and I've noticed a real difference... it's nice to catch that faint wiff of hops aroma in the head when you put the glass up to your mouth.
Nice tip. I definitely get a faint hint of hops tickling the nose with the Weihenstephaner. This beer is excellent btw, if you haven't had it. It has really sparked my interest in Light German Lagers.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:54 PM   #10
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by korndog View Post
This beer is excellent btw, if you haven't had it. It has really sparked my interest in Light German Lagers.
Well, being that I have 2 cases of empty 1/2 Liter bottles of it at home, yeah I'd say I've tried it a time or too!

END TRANSMISSION

Quick Reply