Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > weihenstephaner hefe funky smell?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
wjjohnson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default weihenstephaner hefe funky smell?

Anyone have any off smells to the finished beer with this wyeast weihenstephan yeast? I just brewed a hefe, fermented at 70-72 degrees. My beer has a funky smell. Almost sulfur/rotten eggy smell. I took a sample in to the my local brew shop. The guy said he couldnt notice it, banna and clove didnt really come out as much as I wanted it to. Just wanted to know if it just needs to age some more or has anyone else had not so great beer with this yeast. Thanks all!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
PinkyOFloyd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Generally the sulfur odor will go away. Hopefully before the beer goes south!! Wheats like to be enjoyed fairly quickly....

Old 03-26-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
bosco_NJ
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i've been drinking a Hefe that has been in the bottle for about 4 weeks now. no funky, sulfur, rotten egg smell mostly banana, fruity, a lil bubblegum & a hint of clove. that's pretty much what i was going for. i drank a bottle each week to check carb level & never noticed any off aromas. this is the first time i used Weihenstephaner yeast so my experience is limited. i fermented in the primary for 2 weeks @ 68-70 then bottled. the bottles were kept around 68 for 3 weeks and are at the carb level that i like. now they have been in the fridge for the last week. i used the yeast cake for a Weizenbock Rye that has been in the primary for 4 weeks. i did a gravity reading today & it smells really nice, again no off aromas. i'm gonna bottle it tomorrow.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:37 PM   #4
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I use Weihenstephaner 3068 for my Hefewiezens. The smell you refer to has only showed up on one occasion. Unfortunately it didn't go away.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:57 PM   #5
wjjohnson
Recipes 

Well I think I'm going to add a fruit flavor, maybe even some lemon and orange zest. It taste fine, its just the smell is not all that great.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:12 AM   #6
monnie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I made a batch with White labs version WLP 300. 60/40 white wheat/ pils, OG 1.045. Pitched at 65, fermented at room temp 68-70. Totally smelled like banana while fermenting, which was what I was going for. No sulfer

3 weeks in primary, kegged for 6 weeks, and is still a total phenolic bomb. very little clove, and no banana Actually, to the point I am probably going to dump it for the fridge space.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:11 AM   #7
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by monnie View Post
I made a batch with White labs version WLP 300. 60/40 white wheat/ pils, OG 1.045. Pitched at 65, fermented at room temp 68-70. Totally smelled like banana while fermenting, which was what I was going for. No sulfer

3 weeks in primary, kegged for 6 weeks, and is still a total phenolic bomb. very little clove, and no banana Actually, to the point I am probably going to dump it for the fridge space.
AFAIK the phenolic is the clove. The banana is the esters.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #8
archiefl98
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

My Hefe tasted like a rubber inner-tube left out in the hot summer sun when it first carbed up in bottles. I thought about dumping it. About a week later I tried another one and it was the best damn hefe I've had in years.

Give it some time and I think a lot of those smells will go away. Try serving at different temperatures too. My hefe is very vibrant with smells and tastes at 58F (sometimes I drink them right from the cellar) but mutes down a LOT at 43F.

Fermenting: A few beers

Conditioning: A few other beers
Bottled: A few more beers
Kegged: Many beers
Next Brews: More beers than you could imagine

Quick Reply