Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Wedding Saison - Please critique

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 04:01 AM   #11
Stardust
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc1 View Post
Oh, the wedding is in Jamaica - anyone have experience with putting the bottle in your checked luggage and crossing through customs? I am thinking that I will take 2 or 3 750ml bottles with me. Any problems foreseen here?
You should consider shipping the beer ahead of the wedding party. You will be able to ship a bigger quantity and it will have time to settle before being opened. With all of these new TSA "rules" of what we can and cannot pack you may not want to risk confiscation or anything that would cause problems...

You certainly don't want to be on double secret probation!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 04:05 AM   #12
Stardust
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

double post??! ok well...

Old 03-16-2011, 05:14 AM   #13
smellysell
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Recipe looks solid, though my personal preference is to not spice saisons as I'd rather just let the yeast shine. It's definitely a matter off preference though. I also like to dry out my saisons as much as I can, so I typically go 90 minutes on the mash, but if you're looking for it to not be "that" dry, 75 should be fine. 3711 is going to dry the **** out of it regardless though.

I heart sour beer

Old 03-17-2011, 03:30 AM   #14
merc1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanzimonson View Post
Unfortunately I have two discouraging comments:

1) Saison is a ballsy choice for a wedding. By your quantities it doesn't look like you're trying to supply the entire wedding or anything, but it sure does suck when you spend the time to brew something and it's not a crowd pleaser. But I give you props for trying something different.
I am planning to take a bottle or two to the wedding and then give each person in the wedding party a nice labeled bottle when we get back... it's a pretty small wedding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanzimonson View Post
2) I've had beer confiscated from checked bags because "It's under pressure and might explode." I informed them that this made my blood under pressure and I was about to explode on them. It didn't work.
LOL - did they at least laugh? That would seriously piss me off but I guess they have you by the balls really.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:33 AM   #15
merc1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellysell View Post
Recipe looks solid, though my personal preference is to not spice saisons as I'd rather just let the yeast shine. It's definitely a matter off preference though. I also like to dry out my saisons as much as I can, so I typically go 90 minutes on the mash, but if you're looking for it to not be "that" dry, 75 should be fine. 3711 is going to dry the **** out of it regardless though.
After a number of comments on the spices, I think that I'm going to drop at least the ginger out. Would the orange peel play nice, or would you drop that as well? Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:45 AM   #16
merc1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
You should consider shipping the beer ahead of the wedding party. You will be able to ship a bigger quantity and it will have time to settle before being opened. With all of these new TSA "rules" of what we can and cannot pack you may not want to risk confiscation or anything that would cause problems...

You certainly don't want to be on double secret probation!
Got some quotes for shipping... looking at $200+ via UPS or FedEx, which seems a bit insane to me.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:08 AM   #17
Stardust
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc1 View Post
Got some quotes for shipping... looking at $200+ via UPS or FedEx, which seems a bit insane to me.
GEEZ!

Maybe you should call the airlines and see what they have to say. Or better yet have your fiancée make the call and play helpless..."I need to take these with me for our wedding and I just don't know what to do..."

Quick Reply