Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > WB-06 Not Making a Good First Impression

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default WB-06 Not Making a Good First Impression

Well, I had to give it a chance, and it's starting to piss me off. This is my first batch made with Fermentis' WB-06 wheat yeast. A weizenbock, started at like 1.072 and dropped to 1.019 before stopping. Racked her to secondary, and lo and behold, I get the ol' "slowly offgassing CO2" bullsh*t. This happened once before, on a porter made with US-05, but even then, it was because it finished high and I added more yeast in secondary. This time, I dunno, it's just being mean to me. I'd like to bottle it, but I'm afraid. For the past 2 or 3 weeks, there've been tiny bubbles rising to the top constantly, and there's what looks a little like krausen from all the bubbles. The OG has dropped about 3 points during that time, so it appears to be slowly finishing.

The last time I went through this bullsh*t, it took a very long time...but the beer tastes great right now and needs to be drank! Stupid lazy yeasts.

[/rant]

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Well, you're 95% of the way to kegging, aren't you? Let it sit for a while, give it a taste, and if you like it but are still worried about bottle bombs toss it in a keg and force-carb it.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:45 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Well, you're 95% of the way to kegging, aren't you? Let it sit for a while, give it a taste, and if you like it but are still worried about bottle bombs toss it in a keg and force-carb it.
That's the plan, brother... Like I said, it tastes pretty damn good, dispite o'flan's thoughts to the contrary (WRT the WB-06)

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 02-06-2008, 05:02 PM   #4
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I wouldn't say that's a bad impression though. Despite O'Flannagans experience, I have been able to get what I want out of this yeast and will use it again...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 02-06-2008, 05:06 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulive
I wouldn't say that's a bad impression though. Despite O'Flannagans experience, I have been able to get what I want out of this yeast and will use it again...
If the yeast takes 2 months to finish out, it's a bad impression IMHO. It might produce good beer, but come on!

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 02-06-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
If the yeast takes 2 months to finish out, it's a bad impression IMHO. It might produce good beer, but come on!
Yeah, but I would've kegged it @ 1.019

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 02-06-2008, 07:00 PM   #7
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts

I used it for a hefeweizen, and ended up giving the entire keg away. I wasn't happy with the taste at all. I let it condition in the keg for about a month and it still tasted really yeasty - no traditional hefe flafors. Strangely, the other guy I gave it to said he and his wife both really liked it. Maybe I'm just a picky EAC.

Quick Reply