New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Way, way, way over the top Sam Adams Utopia clone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 09:38 PM   #41
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinz57 View Post
The bold was as far as I could get saying it out loud. That's a huge sentence, this thread must have gotten you jazzed about MLTs.
Either that or he's about to bury his neighbors in one of those. Dang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2008, 11:05 PM   #42
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinz57 View Post
The bold was as far as I could get saying it out loud. That's a huge sentence, this thread must have gotten you jazzed about MLTs.
I didn't think anything of it until I saw your reply and then I realized I skipped his post entirely. Kind of subconsciously. Yeah, period's are your friend.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:55 AM   #43
Jaybird
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Extreme brewing!!!!! Way to go guys. Keep us posted.

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too

Old 12-09-2008, 07:55 AM   #44
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Location: Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah Chahles.
Liked 127 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 17

With a brew as big as this Utopia clone I can see getting a little excited and punctuation going by the wayside.

And no, we haven't made it yet. We'll be doing it sometime between Christmas and NY. I'm picking up the yeast on Thursday and will begin ramping up the starter.

PTN

Alcohol!

Because no-one ever started a great story with, "I was just finishing a lovely salad when..."

Old 12-09-2008, 08:49 AM   #45
lordbeermestrength
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
With a brew as big as this Utopia clone I can see getting a little excited and punctuation going by the wayside.

And no, we haven't made it yet. We'll be doing it sometime between Christmas and NY. I'm picking up the yeast on Thursday and will begin ramping up the starter.

PTN
rock on, my friend. I will be living vicariously through your brewing so take lots of pictures and keep the forum updated!

Beer, happy Produce of our Isle/Can sinewy Strength impart,
And wearied with Fatigue and Toil/Can cheer each manly Heart.
Labour and Art upheld by Thee/Successfully advance,
We quaff Thy balmy Juice with Glee/And Water leave to France.
Genius of Health, thy grateful Taste/Rivals the Cup of Jove,
And warms each English generous Breast/With Liberty and Love!
(Rev James Townley, 1751)

Old 12-12-2008, 06:28 PM   #46
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Went by the LHBS last night and he wasnt' able to get the 099 in this weeks order. He says he'll have it for us next week. Not a problem, it looks like I won't be free until the weekend after New Years because of my work schedule. Even if we have to wait another week we'll still be able to step it up 4-5 times.
PTN

Alcohol!

Because no-one ever started a great story with, "I was just finishing a lovely salad when..."

Old 12-13-2008, 01:02 PM   #47
Jonnio

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Paul, just a thought here on your starters. Would it possibly be worth it to brew a couple "sacrificial" beers, one in each fermenter (I think your using two), and then pitch this bohemith on the yeast cake?

It seems to me that if your going to pitch multiple vials to even get it down to a 3-5 gallon starter you might as well come up with a mild or something else who's yeast cake won't influence the flavor (if that's even possible to do with a beer this big) but still doesn't taste bad.

Either that, or the Mr Malty calculator is just not even close to being able to handle the calculations for a wort this big and you can get by with less.

(PS - subscribed for the results and because I don't think I will ever have the guts to go this big)

------------------------------------------------
Official member of HBAMAP (Home Brewers Against Murder and Pedophilia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...

Old 12-13-2008, 02:54 PM   #48
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well, I thought about doing that but I wouldn't want to use the 099 on something like a mild. I think that anything I ended up doing like that would just end up being a "throw away batch." I'm not crazy about that idea, I'm way too much a skinflint yankee at heart. (I routinely make second run wines from my grape pommace and even made a nice partigyle brown ale from the 888 RIS. I'm not a cheap ass, I'm thrifty.)

I recognize that the idea of squalking about spending $20 on a batch of pedestrian throw away beer so that I can have a decent yeast cake for my $200 dollar Utopia borders on the absurd. Maybe it's even well inside the border. Maybe the INS is searching all over town looking for it. Whatever.

Ok, I'm convincing myself that in the end it is the right thing to do. When I actually try to defend not doing it I see what a rediculous idea not doing it is. Now I need to convince Chris. And slip a few more bucks out of the checking account while Alice isn't looking.

Ok here's a question for the board, what would you make, using 099, as a 'throw away batch' in order to build up a yeast cake for the Utopia? A Skullspitter Scotish ale comes to mind, if only cause it would prime the yeasties to a higher gravity and be a decent beer to boot.

PTN

Alcohol!

Last edited by paulthenurse; 12-13-2008 at 02:58 PM.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:43 PM   #49
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
Ok here's a question for the board, what would you make, using 099, as a 'throw away batch' in order to build up a yeast cake for the Utopia? A Skullspitter Scotish ale comes to mind, if only cause it would prime the yeasties to a higher gravity and be a decent beer to boot.
I'd do a nice Wee Heavy.

Wee Heavy as a starter. Heh. Me like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 12-16-2008, 06:06 AM   #50
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ok we decided tonight that we're going to be making the Utopia on Saturday Jan 3rd. I'm working overnight the night before and so I will be getting to Chris's house around 8. Chris has promised me a soft chair in the garage in case I doze off during the mash. (Depending on when we crack open the real bottle of Utopia that may become an important feature for me.)

If any of you guys in the area want to come by to watch this momentous brew PM me and I'll give you the scope and directions. (We'll be in Mansfield, near Rt 140.)

And we also decided to make a Barley Wine this weekend as a starter. (That is probably one of the silliest sentences I've ever written.)

PTN

Alcohol!

Last edited by paulthenurse; 12-16-2008 at 07:05 AM.

Quick Reply