The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Way, way, way over the top Sam Adams Utopia clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #111
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 369 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 47

For the headcount, I'll be there flying solo most likely although I MIGHT bring one guy (Bill Tredo.... do you know him Paul? He's the founder of SSBC and he lives in Norton)

I'm planning on grabbing a three-rack pack of ribs from BJ's and bringing them for lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2009, 02:56 PM   #112
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Location: Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah Chahles.
Liked 160 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 22

CB,
I believe I've met him at TWB. He is certainly welcome, bring him along.

Not telling you anything you don't know but you better show up early if you want those ribs for lunch. (I'm getting mine at Costco, we can compare whose ribs are better. Whoa! Great idea! Rib Throwdown!)

Bill,
I don't think time will have too much to do with end attenuation. When the yeast poop out they are pretty much pooped out. Sure there will continue to be some residual 'cleaning up' but I doubt that it is resonsible for a great deal of increase in ABV, etc. It does lead one to think about 'sur lees' aging with this beer and what the long term consequences would be. I bet it would add something nice. Hmmmmm. Something else to consider.

There is a guy up in my hometown called Alister Hewitt (sp?) who routinely wins every medal in every damned competition he enters. (He's aced me out more than once.) He posted a comment on the White Labs site about how he was dissapointed with the results he got with the 099. I just found his comment this morning while reading up some more on the yeasties. I wish the hell I knew this guy, I'd love to buy him a beer and pick his brain.

PTN

Alcohol!
Because no-one ever started a great story with, "I was just finishing a lovely salad when..."

Follow my Wood Fired Oven Build Thread here

Old 01-05-2009, 02:59 PM   #113
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey Paul-

Allister is in my club. (Wort Processors) The man makes some DAMN fine beers and is a wealth of knowledge. I'm sure we could introduce you guys at some point, esp. if you ever make it up into the Boston area.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Old 01-05-2009, 03:01 PM   #114
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

As far as the Beano goes, I will probably try it. (Other than my wife giving me a bottle of Beano once in my Chrsitmas stocking~~ She's really freakin' subtle, ya know?~~ I haven't used it. Not that I used it when she gave it to me either, for that matter.)

Alcohol!
Because no-one ever started a great story with, "I was just finishing a lovely salad when..."

Old 01-05-2009, 03:02 PM   #115
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Drag his ass along, Tony!

Alcohol!

Old 01-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #116
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'll see what we can do. Albert sent out an email regarding the utopia brew to our group email list for the club. I will need to check to see who is interested at the meeting wednesday night. As a club we do get together now and then for a big group brew session, so if you wanted to come next time, I can give you a shout...

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Old 01-05-2009, 06:14 PM   #117
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Quote:
CB,

Not telling you anything you don't know but you better show up early if you want those ribs for lunch. (I'm getting mine at Costco, we can compare whose ribs are better. Whoa! Great idea! Rib Throwdown!)

PTN
I'll bring mine pre-cooked. They'll just have to be tossed on the grill for about ten minutes to finish 'em up. I go with the lame, city-folk, rib cooking method of "in the oven". yeah, yeah... "put 'em in a smoker!!" yeah yeah... trust me.... These come out damn good the way I do them.

Gimme, some credit, I have at least a little experience with cookin' pig... http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f56/how-...ole-pig-74299/

And... you're ON for a throwdown!

Quote:

Old 01-05-2009, 06:24 PM   #118
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
paul just lured me over here from the winepress forum. engineering your own utopia clone sounds like more geeky fun than lighting a BBQ with LOX! (have you considered adding this to the event?) if i didn't have previous plans, i'd be looking for cheap airfairs!
i was at the epcot food and wine festival a few months back. sam adams had a "seminar" and the utopia was mentioned. i asked how they attained 26% or 27% and was told it was done by aging for ten years. i don't know how that could get the yeast to surpass its tolerance. i think if it didn't go high enough, you could finish with distiller's yeast after whatever initial yeast had contributed its flavors and expired, but i think those only go to 22 or so in theoretical perfect conditions.
looking forward to see how this project plays out.
they use 3 different yeats, one of which they essentially skip the least floculant and thus highest alcohol tollerant cells and reporopigate it.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #119
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Brewing View Post
I'll bring mine pre-cooked. They'll just have to be tossed on the grill for about ten minutes to finish 'em up. I go with the lame, city-folk, rib cooking method of "in the oven". yeah, yeah... "put 'em in a smoker!!" yeah yeah... trust me.... These come out damn good the way I do them.

Gimme, some credit, I have at least a little experience with cookin' pig... http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f56/how-...ole-pig-74299/

And... you're ON for a throwdown!

Geez, now don't go gettin' all defensive on me! I didn't say a word about cooking them in the oven. Truth be known, I've done that meown self. And if we really want to spill some guts here, I've parboiled them and then finished them on the grill. This isn't a BBQ forum, it's a beer forum and such indescretions can be overlooked (so long as it doesn't become a habit)

As you might remember, I followed your hog thread with intrest last year. I like your technique, pretty cool. I tend to do mine in my smoker but that is why they make ales and lagers. Variety is not a bad thing. And I just found out this past week that some dear friend of mine are finally getting married next September and I'm going to be in charge of the BBQ (ribs and chix) and the beer. Whoooo Hoooo BBQ and beer for 150 people! I'm going to be a busy boy in late summer. I think I'll get going on 10 gallons of Octoberfest soon so it will be rightous for the big day.

So a throwdown it is. Who we gonna get to judge? I nominate Sumo as one judge.

PTN

Alcohol!

Old 01-05-2009, 07:03 PM   #120
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Quote:
Geez, now don't go gettin' all defensive on me! I didn't say a word about cooking them in the oven. Truth be known, I've done that meown self. And if we really want to spill some guts here, I've parboiled them and then finished them on the grill. This isn't a BBQ forum, it's a beer forum and such indescretions can be overlooked (so long as it doesn't become a habit)

As you might remember, I followed your hog thread with intrest last year. I like your technique, pretty cool. I tend to do mine in my smoker but that is why they make ales and lagers. Variety is not a bad thing. And I just found out this past week that some dear friend of mine are finally getting married next September and I'm going to be in charge of the BBQ (ribs and chix) and the beer. Whoooo Hoooo BBQ and beer for 150 people! I'm going to be a busy boy in late summer. I think I'll get going on 10 gallons of Octoberfest soon so it will be rightous for the big day.

So a throwdown it is. Who we gonna get to judge? I nominate Sumo as one judge.

PTN
LOL... no no no... not getting defensive at all. I was joking around since some people are pretty religious about thier smokers. I thought you were saying to get there early so I could get 'em on the grill or in a smoker for the needed hours.

My bad... should have been a little more tongue-in-cheek about it.

You're definitely on for a little friendly rib competition though!

Quote:

Quick Reply