Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Way low final gravity

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2011, 12:16 AM   #1
manicmethod
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Way low final gravity

I split a 2L Wyeast greenbelt starter between 2 batches. The batches were the same recipe with some minor variations, both extract with specialty grains.

On one of them I added a 3lb can of cherry Puree. The non-cherry started out at 1.053 and the cherry started at 1.059.

I kegged the non-cherry last week at FG 1.013 and let the cherry stay in secondary longer to clear out any of the cherry that was left. I sampled the cherry just now and it is 1.006 (at 60F on a 60F calibrated hydrometer).

I've never had a beer ferment this low, regardless of time in secondary. It was still bubbling in secondary and I thought it was kind of strange but this is like 90% AA which pretty much sucked any sweetness out of it (and with a large hop bill it is pretty bitter)

I know Greenbelt isn't a widely used yeast but has anyone seen this much disparity from the same yeast in the same starter across 2 batches?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 78

It's probably the simple sugars in the syrup instead of the yeast. But maybe the non-cherry was just not quite done?

Old 04-04-2011, 01:35 AM   #3
corbomite
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

How much fluid would you say the cherry puree was? Cherry puree is going to be a lot of water combined with mostly 100% fermentable sugars, both of which would decrease the final gravity.
How much cherry flavor comes out?

Old 04-04-2011, 03:12 AM   #4
manicmethod
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbomite View Post
How much fluid would you say the cherry puree was? Cherry puree is going to be a lot of water combined with mostly 100% fermentable sugars, both of which would decrease the final gravity.
How much cherry flavor comes out?
Probably half a gallon...

no cherry taste at all (the puree honestly didn't taste much like cherry anyway)

This thing is so dry and bitter I'm calling the experiment a fail, I'm just wondering why it fermented so low.

I suspect the other beer (which tastes great, but I'm a crazy hophead - 120ish IBU's at 5.5% abv) wasn't really done fermenting before I kegged.

I guess the lesson is keg when the gravity is what I want it to be and don't let it keep going :X

Old 04-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 78

That could backfire though. You can chill the beer to make the yeast dormant but if it comes back to room temp for to long you can end up with a mess on you counter. I had a growler break last year.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 349 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Have you considered letting the one with cherries age to see if some of the hop bitterness decreases? Perhaps some residual cherry could come back if the hop punch softens. I wouldn't count it a failure, just not done.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Since it is now around 18 months old, I'd bet OP has resolved this issue.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 12-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 349 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Since it is now around 18 months old, I'd bet OP has resolved this issue.
Guess I should have looked. I thought I was on a page listing only new posts--oops.

Quick Reply