Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Watermelon Hefeweizen -- Feedback Please

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
turvis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts

Try splitting base grains to 50/50 base and wheat or even 60/40

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #12
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I just saw that you are using WL 300 yeast. This is a good yeast for an authentic german hefe, but may not be good in your case. The clove, banana, and other fruit flavors from this yeast can be quite strong and may overpower the watermelon flavor. Consider using an american wheat yeast or american ale yeast. These will give cleaner flavors, and are typical choices for wheat beers that include fruit additions.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #13
Draygon
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by turvis
Try splitting base grains to 50/50 base and wheat or even 60/40
Think i am going to do 60/40, originally i had it as 6.6 lbs wheat extract, converted it to all grain...and forgot the wheat part lol...oops. Thanks for pointing that out.

Also thanks for the pointer about the yeast choice.

Primary:Empty
Secondary: Amber Ale
Bottled: B2 Amber, Scottish Ale, Honey B Ale, Cherry Stout, Bourbon Vanilla Porter, Double Chocolate (Milk) Stout, B2 Cream Ale, Amber Cider, Maple syrup dark ale, Pirate Strong Ale, Midas touch clone, Spiced Imperial Stout, Olde Ale

Planned: Milk Stout, Barley Wine

Old 06-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #14
Draygon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slarkin712 View Post
I just saw that you are using WL 300 yeast. This is a good yeast for an authentic german hefe, but may not be good in your case. The clove, banana, and other fruit flavors from this yeast can be quite strong and may overpower the watermelon flavor. Consider using an american wheat yeast or american ale yeast. These will give cleaner flavors, and are typical choices for wheat beers that include fruit additions.
So you were thinking something like the 320 instead of 300?

Here is the updated recipe, with my brain fart corrected (wheat malt included) Was thinking of possibly using white wheat, but have never used it before so dont know how that would alter the flavor?

7 lbs Wheat Malt
4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop
0.50 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.0 pkg Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP320) [35.49 ml]
7 lbs 6.6 oz Fruit - Watermelon
Est ABV: 6.6%

Thoughts?

Bottled: B2 Amber, Scottish Ale, Honey B Ale, Cherry Stout, Bourbon Vanilla Porter, Double Chocolate (Milk) Stout, B2 Cream Ale, Amber Cider, Maple syrup dark ale, Pirate Strong Ale, Midas touch clone, Spiced Imperial Stout, Olde Ale

Old 06-14-2012, 03:35 AM   #15
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The WL320 may produce some banana and cloves, but less than 300. The thing about 320 is that your beer will stay cloudy with yeast, which many brewers like in a wheat beer. If you just want clean taste with no banana or clove, and don't care if the beer is very clear use american ale yeast.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #16
Draygon
Recipes 

As this is my first wheat beer, can someone tell me the difference between White Wheat and just What Malt?

Old 06-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #17
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Most of the wheat malt that you'll find is white wheat malt. There is also red wheat malt, but it doesn't give your beer a red color. I think it gives a little more color and a fuller flavor. And if something say "white wheat" or "red wheat", check out if it is malted or not. Raw wheat (i.e. not malted) can be very difficult to crush and doesn't have any diastatic power to convert its starches into sugar during the mashing process. Thus raw wheat must be accompanied by an adequate amount of base grain with enough diastatic power to convert itself and the raw wheat.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:40 AM   #18
Draygon
Recipes 

Brewed batch #1 of 2 today, used all the grains and hops in the last posted recipe. To get the watermelon in i cut up an entire watermelon, puree'd it, boiled it for 15 min and then chilled it. I had roughly 1 gal of puree so i brewed the beer and chilled it to 80, took the well chilled puree and dumped it in to cool it to below 70. OG came itln a bit low, i could have used more watermelon....it was at 1.048, assuming i can get it to 1.010 itll be a 5.1% beer, which will be perfectly fine as some if my wedding guests would be on their butts if i gave them anything higher!
Batch 2 tomorrow!

Old 06-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #19
davis119
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Well im not to sure how much flavor you will get.
I don't know if u should have boiled it. Did you taste the puree after? Did u loose all the flavor?
Also I think you should have waited until primary ferm. Was done to add the puree...

Old 06-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #20
Draygon
Recipes 

I am going to add in more puree when i rack to secondary (about 1/2 a watermelon). I didnt boil it long and only did so to use it as part of the chilling, given that it was 100 here yesterday it would have never got down to 70 without it. I tasted it before pitching and there was a hint of the flavor on the backend. Hoping that the puree in secondary will add to this. Im not looking for it to be a huge flavor, just subtle.

Quick Reply