Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Water Quality of Bottled Water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2007, 07:52 PM   #21
abracadabra
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

For anyone interested here's an informative web site. It talks about the various kinds of filters how they work and even has a link to you tube showing how to build your own. From common items like cotton, activated carbon for an aquarium and a plastic bottle.

http://heartspring.net/water_filters_guide.html#ceramic

Also here's a small commercial filter that contain impregnanted silver a natural bacteriastat

http://doultonusa.com/commercial_ind...er_filters.htm

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2007, 10:15 PM   #22
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sorry Guys - I'm home sick today. I had a fever going... I was babling away... mindlessly...

I think what I wanted to say was this. The more pure the water is the greater the risk to bacterial infection. Especially if its idle.

So without proper maintenance you can get infected water quite easily.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 03-29-2007, 10:21 PM   #23
cefmel
Recipes 

Default Water should taste good and be hard.

Generally speaking, you should start with good tasting hard water for making beer. There is a whole laundry list of minerals that different yeasts need to survive so you need hard water. If your water comes from a lake, you may need to add gypsum. When I brew, I draw all the water (our town has hard well water) I will be using the night before and let the water sit overnight in open containers to allow any chemicals that the city adds to evaporate out. I also get the PH right by adding about 5 ML of Phosphoric acid to the 6 gallons of water and using PH sticks to check the results and make adjustments. At this point you don’t need to worry about bacteria because you will be boiling the water for at least 1 hour and nothing will live through that. Happy brewing!!

Old 03-30-2007, 02:56 AM   #24
MA_Brewer

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cefmel
Generally speaking, you should start with good tasting hard water for making beer. There is a whole laundry list of minerals that different yeasts need to survive so you need hard water. If your water comes from a lake, you may need to add gypsum. When I brew, I draw all the water (our town has hard well water) I will be using the night before and let the water sit overnight in open containers to allow any chemicals that the city adds to evaporate out. I also get the PH right by adding about 5 ML of Phosphoric acid to the 6 gallons of water and using PH sticks to check the results and make adjustments. At this point you don’t need to worry about bacteria because you will be boiling the water for at least 1 hour and nothing will live through that. Happy brewing!!
OK - so I am at a loss as to which way to go here - I've been using bottled spring water for the mash, and I pre-boil my tap water (city) for the sparge water - I do this first, then let it cool while doing everything else.
My water is city water, but very soft.

My water tastes OK, but it does contain chlorine/chlorimines. A filter would be more convienent (sp?) but not if it is going to harbor bacteria. To filter or not to filter, that is the question.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:13 AM   #25
LouT
Can't wait to go AG...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA_Brewer
OK - so I am at a loss as to which way to go here - I've been using bottled spring water for the mash, and I pre-boil my tap water (city) for the sparge water - I do this first, then let it cool while doing everything else.
My water is city water, but very soft.

My water tastes OK, but it does contain chlorine/chlorimines. A filter would be more convienent (sp?) but not if it is going to harbor bacteria. To filter or not to filter, that is the question.
You know, someone mentioned the aquarium chemicals that remove the chloramine - and I saw them at WalMart but didn't dare to trust an associate there to know if there are any other additives in that aquarium stuff that would mess with my beer. So I just used bottled water -- half of it distilled, half of it spring water (would have bought all spring water but they ran out) last time I brewed.
I thought I had an off taste in my first batch and wife said it was a bit of a chloraseptic taste (I thought it was funny she said that, I didn't perceive it, but I had read about it and she hadn't). Anyway, then I looked it up and my town uses chloramine which causes that chloraseptic taste in beer.
I think someone also said you can use camden tablets to remove chloramine, too.

Primary - California Common -finally!
Secondary - nothing, back after year plus hiatus
Keg carbing & conditioning - nada
Drinking - store bought: Loose Cannon IPA, Wachusett IPA.
On deck: Trying to decide (beer); wine kit likely (red wine)

Quick Reply