Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Water Quality of Bottled Water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2007, 12:37 AM   #11
Schlenkerla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Topping off with filtered city water

I would have thought untreated well water to be more risky. Potential for Biologicals is greater??? I don't have a well... I understand they are tested for bios on a regular basis.

Why do you say that you would not with city water?

Its chlorinated then the carbon filter should remove the chlorine.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2007, 01:53 AM   #12
Beer Weevel
Recipes 

Yes,Yes, Yes I'm very happy toping with filtered city water!!! Before I started filtering I used it stright out of the tap. So yes I'm happy.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:55 AM   #13
Biermann
Reinvented Biermann
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla
I would have thought untreated well water to be more risky. Potential for Biologicals is greater??? I don't have a well... I understand they are tested for bios on a regular basis.

Why do you say that you would not with city water?

Its chlorinated then the carbon filter should remove the chlorine.
It removes the chlorine, but the water should be pretty sanitary prior to the removal of the chlorine.

I've topped up with tap water before without problems before I had the capacity to do full boils. But as I have that capacity now, I don't have to worry about it.

--------------------------------------------------------
On Draft: Old, Stale, Oxidized beer

Holding tanks:Sold
Conical #1:Sold
Bottles: Nichts
On Deck:

Old 03-05-2007, 02:46 AM   #14
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smogman
Yes,Yes, Yes I'm very happy toping with filtered city water!!! Before I started filtering I used it stright out of the tap. So yes I'm happy.

Gotcha smogman.

I'm not discounting your comment. I have always heard use bottled water or boil. I didn't recall you saying that you topped off with it, before you stated it made good brewing water. I didn't know whether you did full or partial boils. That makes a difference to me. I haven't gotten a wort chiller yet.

So it duely noted now. I'm going to look into getting a filter.

Thanks!!!

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 03-05-2007, 04:02 AM   #15
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

A word of warning for those who use water filters. Filters actually become a breeding ground for bacteria when water is not actually being passed through the filter. You need to let the water run through the filter for 5 - 10 seconds to flush out any bacteria before using the filtered water.

-a.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:23 AM   #16
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf
A word of warning for those who use water filters. Filters actually become a breeding ground for bacteria when water is not actually being passed through the filter. You need to let the water run through the filter for 5 - 10 seconds to flush out any bacteria before using the filtered water.

-a.
Thats a good point! If one goes that route it would be best to have it on a line thats used regulary.

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 03-05-2007, 06:33 PM   #17
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Here's a true story for you all..

My family is close friends with a winery owner in Upstate, NY. Something like 10 years ago, he was requested to submit a sample of his water for testing for certian bacterial creepies. They used filtered well water, and the test showed that there was bad "stuff" in there. I'm not sure what they found in the water. At any rate, the winery was forced to upgrade their water systems to help combat these particular bacteria, and they had to submit another water test. Again it failed. This is the same water they have been using for years with no problems, so the owner got pissed and submitted a sample of bottled water for the 3rd submission. IT FAILED!!

Moral of the story, don't believe the hype about all this fancy bottled water or filtration systems

Like others mentioned, there is a possibility of your filtration system to get infected, and there are no controls on bottled water. IMHO, unless you have off flavors or taste (sulfur), or live in a 2nd or 3rd world country, I'd just stick with tap water.

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Old 03-05-2007, 07:07 PM   #18
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsloop
Here's a true story for you all..

My family is close friends with a winery owner in Upstate, NY. Something like 10 years ago, he was requested to submit a sample of his water for testing for certian bacterial creepies. They used filtered well water, and the test showed that there was bad "stuff" in there. I'm not sure what they found in the water. At any rate, the winery was forced to upgrade their water systems to help combat these particular bacteria, and they had to submit another water test. Again it failed. This is the same water they have been using for years with no problems, so the owner got pissed and submitted a sample of bottled water for the 3rd submission. IT FAILED!!

Moral of the story, don't believe the hype about all this fancy bottled water or filtration systems

Like others mentioned, there is a possibility of your filtration system to get infected, and there are no controls on bottled water. IMHO, unless you have off flavors or taste (sulfur), or live in a 2nd or 3rd world country, I'd just stick with tap water.
I know what your talking about with water infections. I'm an engineer at a major window mfg'r. One of our plants had continual bacterial problems and water spotting on glass. They used RO water to source the glass washing equipment. Which uses DI for spot-free rinsing. The DI system had a bank changer that changed to spare tanks as the water resistance went up. Got dirty.

The trouble was the RO water at 25ppms total disolved solids was really clean so the DI only knocked off 15ppms. Long story made short - one set of tanks lasted 6-8 months. The back up set was infected whenever the switch-over occurred. The water was stagnant in the back up tanks !!!

All of the other plants used city water and the tanks got changed every 3 weeks. No problem. The city water at our plants can range 400-700ppm so it taxes the DI system more.

I would think having a constant supply of water passing through a home system is as important as changing the filter regularly.

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 03-05-2007, 07:15 PM   #19
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla
I know what your talking about with water infections. I'm an engineer at a major window mfg'r. One of our plants had continual bacterial problems and water spotting on glass. They used RO water to source the glass washing equipment. Which uses DI for spot-free rinsing. The DI system had a bank changer that changed to spare tanks as the water resistance went up. Got dirty.

The trouble was the RO water at 25ppms total disolved solids was really clean so the DI only knocked off 15ppms. Long story made short - one set of tanks lasted 6-8 months. The back up set was infected whenever the switch-over occurred. The water was stagnant in the back up tanks !!!

All of the other plants used city water and the tanks got changed every 3 weeks. No problem. The city water at our plants can range 400-700ppm so it taxes the DI system more.

I would think having a constant supply of water passing through a home system is as important as changing the filter regularly.

Uhhhhh...... ummmm....... yeah. I agree with that.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:27 PM   #20
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

sounded pretty good if you ask me! LOL!

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~