Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Water Profile for a Wit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
ScottD13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Water Profile for a Wit

So I'm planning on brewing a Wit on Saturday the 18th. Something simple

7lb Pilsner Malt
7lb Flaked Wheat
1lb Flakes Oats

1.5 oz fresh orange peel
.5 oz crushed coriander

However, I have just moved and need to start building my water from distilled. Here's my question....anyone have a good water recipe for a wit?

I'm thinking it would be soft water and I'll have to use the 5.2 buffer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
mkade
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would use soft water for sure. I recently made a wit using a cereal mash that turned out really nicely. I used soft water, added a small amount of calcium chloride for yeast health. I avoided 5.2 because ultimately I was going to be adding lactic acid for some zing, and I wasn't sure how long the phosphate salts remain in solution and buffer the beer (clearly this could neutralize the effects of lactic acid). I'm sure it will turn out fine. I think the finer points of water treatment are less important in a wit, than for example, in an IPA or stout. One other thing, I used grapefruit zest and it worked nicely.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 313 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 21

That sounds like a good idea.

I have not tested my water, but am wondering if it has any traces of chlorine in it, if I would to put some in buckets and have it sit out in the sun for a few days if the chlorine would dissipate and I would have cleaner water.

Kind of like not keeping up the chlorine level in a pool, it depletes pretty quick with some warm weather.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
ScottD13
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkade View Post
I would use soft water for sure. I recently made a wit using a cereal mash that turned out really nicely. I used soft water, added a small amount of calcium chloride for yeast health. I avoided 5.2 because ultimately I was going to be adding lactic acid for some zing, and I wasn't sure how long the phosphate salts remain in solution and buffer the beer (clearly this could neutralize the effects of lactic acid). I'm sure it will turn out fine. I think the finer points of water treatment are less important in a wit, than for example, in an IPA or stout. One other thing, I used grapefruit zest and it worked nicely.
I'm beginning to think about Dortmunder's or Vienna's water profile...maybe Munich.

How'd it go with the grapefruit? How much did you use?

I realized I forgot my hop schedule...ooops but do plan on just a touch of cascade at whirlpool for some additional citrus aromas.

Lactic acid sounds better then the 5.2....good call!

Old 04-08-2009, 11:56 PM   #5
mkade
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

When I made mine recently, I zested two large grapefruit and probably 5 or 6 tangerines. I have no idea what to think about Cascade as a finishing hop. I'd probably be a little worried about it myself, but I guess it could be prety interesting. You'll have to let me know how that works out if you do it.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:57 PM   #6
mkade
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
That sounds like a good idea.

I have not tested my water, but am wondering if it has any traces of chlorine in it, if I would to put some in buckets and have it sit out in the sun for a few days if the chlorine would dissipate and I would have cleaner water.

Kind of like not keeping up the chlorine level in a pool, it depletes pretty quick with some warm weather.
I've never used them, but people seem to like Camden tablets for this. Seems like a better idea than leaving your water outside.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:08 AM   #7
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkade View Post
I've never used them, but people seem to like Camden tablets for this. Seems like a better idea than leaving your water outside.
Well, I have used tap water for all my brews and just added PH 5.2 to the mash and have been fine with that but was just curious. I will test some tap water with my pool kit and see if anything comes up at all. I don't think it is really a traceable amount if it is even there.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:12 AM   #8
diatonic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
Well, I have used tap water for all my brews and just added PH 5.2 to the mash and have been fine with that but was just curious. I will test some tap water with my pool kit and see if anything comes up at all. I don't think it is really a traceable amount if it is even there.
You should be able to get your water quality report online from your water company... it will tell you a lot about your tap water.

.:diatonic:.

1° - Simple Cider (2/15/2014) - Saison Mead (6/26/2014) - En Perpetuum (Belgian sour base) (7/3/2014)
2° - Nuthin
Aging in a wine barrel - En Perpetuum—Solera (1/23/2011)
Kegs - May the Schwarz-Bier with you (2/9/2014) — Test Depth American Stout (8/29/2013), Big Red Imperial Red IPA (1/19/2014)

My brew rig is pretty much done :)
You should follow me on Twitter - My Brew Logs

Old 08-21-2009, 04:45 PM   #9
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Did you every decide on a water profile for your wit? I am doing a wit this weekend and my last one turned out great with my tap water but just wondering if there could be any tweaking.

All my numbers are pretty low except HCO3 which is about 180.

I think I will dilute to soften the water and put a little CaSO4 and CaCl to get the calcium up and balance the SO4 vs CL

Quick Reply