Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Water for great German Pils

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Default Water for great German Pils

Planning to brew a German Pils on Presidents day (Next Monday) and was hoping some others could weigh in on their experience with style and water. From research it looks like this water can have a higher content of sulfate and chloride than say a bohemian or czech pils. How important is hardness/alkalinity here? I am trying to decide if I should dilute my existing water source or just go all RO and build it up. If I build it up from RO I guess I would go with Kai's Pilsner Water profile. Made a helles last year with my existing water and it just wasn't right -not bad, but not great. Looking to make improvements

So i guess the real question is, if you have moderately hard water, do you just build up from scratch or try to work with what you got?

My water averages below.
Calcium (Ca) - 38ppm
Magnesium (Mg) - 9ppm
Sodium (Na) - 21ppm
Chloride (Cl) - 41ppm
Sulfate (SO4) - 40ppm
Hardness/Alkalinity - Alkalinity (CaCO3) 82ppm

Recipe would be Weyermann Pilsner malt for the majority, possibly a few ounces of carapils. Acid malt for pH adjustment based on the ez water calculator and my decided water. Magnum for bittering and Hallertau for flavor/aroma hops. ~350-400 billion cells of WLP830.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Was talking to some other brewers and they seemed to feel that pH was more important than the alkalinity/hardness. I am using the EZ Brew water calculator and will be doing 50% distilled and 50% tap water for the mash, 100% tap for sparge. Total mineral content should be around what brukaisers pilsner water is. pH should be 5.4-5.43 range. Will let everyone know how it turns out!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply