Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > water adjustment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
positiverpr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default water adjustment

im new to water adjustment and im having some trouble. im brewing a stout(srm 35) and my water is soft(ca 20 mg 5) and alkaline(ph 8.3 and bicarb 180). im needing some help in which direction i should go. ive tried palmer residual alkalinity sheet and in reading other sources im getting conflicting recs. do i just need to acidify?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Water pH doesn't matter, mash pH does. Get some calcium chloride when you are at the LHBS, dough in, and measure the pH with test strips after 10 minutes. If it reads 5.2 to 5.6 you are good. Otherwise add a tsp of calcium chloride, stir well, re-measure, and repeat. Take notes, and next time you will know what to do. Or you could use Five Star 5.2 stabilizer and run on auto-pilot.

Your bicarbonates are suitable for brewing anything but light beers, for lighter stuff I recommend diluting with RO water. You probably won't need much calcium, if any, for a darker brew. My water is similar to yours and I don't have pH problems anymore, ever since we switched to surface water from aquifer water (that stuff was hard as nails.. quickerNu and Lil' Sparky will envy me now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 10-14-2008, 03:09 PM   #3
PaulStat
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiverpr View Post
im new to water adjustment and im having some trouble. im brewing a stout(srm 35) and my water is soft(ca 20 mg 5) and alkaline(ph 8.3 and bicarb 180). im needing some help in which direction i should go. ive tried palmer residual alkalinity sheet and in reading other sources im getting conflicting recs. do i just need to acidify?
Have a good old read of this

JIM'S BEER KIT: HOMEBREW FORUM • View topic - Treating Water With a High Alkalinity for Brewing

Quick Reply