Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Washed yeast...Did I do this right ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
kjung
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Washed yeast...Did I do this right ?

I just tried washing yeast, for the second time. The first time, I wound up with a nice, thick layer of yeast on the bottom of my jars. This time around, I only have a thin layer. Did I do it right this time ? Will I have enough yeast to use next time I brew ?

Be careful what you wish for, friend, 'cause I've been to Hell, and now I'm back again- Steve Earle

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-
Albert Einstein

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"- Einstein, again

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 541 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I've been washing my yeast for 10 or more batches now. I have noticed no real consistency in the amounts I have collected. Sometimes it's been a ton, other times very little. However, I have always been confident that what I have is yeast and not trub. I have no answers, but am also curious to see where this discussion leads.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I as well have washed quite a few batches of yeast and have really noticed not too much consistency in the amount of yeast. On average, I have about a centimeter of nice, white yeast at the bottom of my mason jars when finished. Sometimes I get more, sometimes less.

Not sure what could cause this, but I would imagine the length of time that you wait before transferring to the smaller containers would have an affect. For example, I normally put 1 gallon of boiled, sanitized water into the primary and swirl that around to get everything off the bottom. I then take that and funnel it into a gallon jug. Throw it in the fridge for 10-15 minutes and all the heavy trub will fall out. Then I simply decant the liquid into my mason jars.

I would imagine that the longer you hold the washed yeast in the larger container, the more will fall out leaving you with less when decanting. I'm sure other factors exist as well, but those are my thoughts on the difference in amounts of yeast after washing.

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 06-25-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
cactusgarrett
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm under the impression the strain of yeast (flocculation characteristics) matter a great deal. As far as amounts, provided you make a proper starter, and possibly step it up, you should have enough for any sized batch. It just might take various levels of TLC.

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Old 06-25-2009, 09:53 PM   #5
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 541 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusgarrett View Post
I'm under the impression the strain of yeast (flocculation characteristics) matter a great deal. As far as amounts, provided you make a proper starter, and possibly step it up, you should have enough for any sized batch. It just might take various levels of TLC.
Well, I was talking about the same strain from the initial batch. Here, though is where you might get a little deafened by the sound of my hand slapping my forehead..... I have just realised that owing to bad planning I have not used starters for the last few brews, and have also been negligent once or twice with yeast nutrients.

I really do need to go back to the drawing board on this one! Thanks!!

Quick Reply