Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Wanted: Feedback on this Recipe!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
humulene
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 34

Default Wanted: Feedback on this Recipe!

Hi All

I have worked up a recipe for my next batch of brew. It will be my 5th batch but the first time I've used a recipe of my own instead of one supplied to me by my LHBS. I would love to hear feedback from folks who have more experience!

The idea for the recipe came about after looking at the hops used in Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (a favorite of mine). I want to try and make an Imperial IPA with a similar profile so I used the same hops- just more! What I am really interested in is achieving the same crisp clean finish that SN does in their pale ale so any advice on this aspect in particular would be appreciated.

It's a specialty grain, extract recipe. I'd be doing a full boil, starting with 6 gallons in the hopes of reaching 5 gallons after a 60 minute boil. Here is the recipe so far.

.75 lbs American Caramel 60°L steeped for 30 min. @ 154* (???)
4.5 lbs Dry Extra Light Extract boiled 60 min.
4.5 lbs Dry Extra Light Extract boiled 20 min.
.5 lbs Malto Dextrin
1.75 oz Magnum (Pellets, 14.50 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.5 oz Perle (Pellets, 8.25 %AA) boiled 15 min.
.5 oz Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 1 min.
Yeast: White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Dry hop schedule:
.67 oz Magnum (Pellets, 14.50 %AA)
.67 oz Perle (Pellets, 8.25 %AA)
.67 oz Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA)

The predicted characteristics are an approximation as I don't have any brewing software. I used a free online recipe calculator but it didn't figure in the late extract addition. The default brewhouse efficiency is 72%. I didn't change it because I have no idea what my actual efficiency is.This is what I have calculated:

OG: 1.087
FG: 1.015
Color: 11.99
IBU: 136.0
ABV: 9.5%

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Looks good. I'd omit the malto dextrin though. It just adds unfermentables and calories.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4341 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK331 View Post
Looks good. I'd omit the malto dextrin though. It just adds unfermentables and calories.
I agree. It makes the beer "thick" which you may want in an oatmeal stout, but not in an IIPA.

I'd also use a full ounce of cascade at 5 minutes, and stronger consider a full ounce at 15 minutes, as well as a full ounce at flame out. You don't have nearly enough late hops for an IIPA.

I'd skip the magnum in dryhopping (don't like it, but it's great for bittering), and increase the cascades there.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:02 AM   #4
humulene
Recipes 

Thanks! I really appreciate the feedback.

Here is my new and improved recipe.

.75 lbs American Caramel 60°L steeped for 30 min. @ 154* (???)
4.5 lbs Dry Extra Light Extract boiled 60 min.
4.5 lbs Dry Extra Light Extract boiled 20 min.
1.75 oz Magnum (Pellets, 14.50 %AA) boiled 60 min.
1 oz Perle (Pellets, 8.25 %AA) boiled 15 min.
1 oz Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 5 min.
1 oz Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) added at flameout
Yeast: White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Dry hop schedule:
.75 oz Perle (Pellets, 8.25 %AA)
1.25 oz Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA)

OG: 1.082
FG: 1.014
Color: 11.99
IBU: 145
ABV: 9.0%

Again, these numbers are approximate due to the limits of the calculator I'm using. I had the maltodextrine in there for alcohol content but I definitely don't want a thick IIPA.

As far as the hops, I love a hoppy IIPA but I was going by the "Style Comparison" which says that the IBU range maxes out at 120. Do you think there is room for more in the new recipe? I'd be happy to add 'em!

BTW, I've been a member on this site for a month and have been reading and learning a TON. It's a real kick for me to get a response to my post from THE Yooper (Giving leg to stand on since 2006.). Ha! Alright... back to business.

Thanks!

Old 01-25-2012, 12:23 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4341 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Maltodextrine isn't fermentable, that's why it makes the beer "thick" so it's best to leave it out.

You can't get more than about 100 IBUs or so in wort anyway, as there are limits to the amount of hops oils that can isomerize. In addition, the human tongue can't really taste more than 100 IBUs either. So don't really worry about "maxing out".

The thing is, you don't need to get all of the IBUs at the bittering addition. The late hops give some bitterness, also, but hops flavor and aroma. The key to an IIPA is lots of those hops flavors and aromas, and NOT the bitterness so much. You can cut the magnums at 60 minutes to reduce the IBUs to 80/90 if you want, and the beer will be good, maybe even better for it.

I make a ton of IPAs/APAs/IIPAs/American ambers, and sort of geek out on hops. I think that it's my one area of expertise in brewing, so I'm always glad to give my $.02!

Old 01-25-2012, 02:02 AM   #6
humulene
Recipes 

I might reduce the magnum at the 60 minute mark but add a 45 minute addition just to get the "continuous hops addition" effect. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:37 AM   #7
MrOH
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Personally, for a IIPA, I would double all of the Cascade additions in the updated recipe too really give it that resiny grapefruit flavor and also add a cooled simple syrup of 8oz table sugar and 8oz water 2 or 3 days after fermentation has begun to help dry it out.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:50 AM   #8
humulene
Recipes 

When you say "dry it out" what do you mean? I assume it would increase the alcohol content. Would it make for a cleaner finish? Any advice is appreciated.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
gstrawn
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

To "dry it out" means to lower the final gravity. This means there is less residual sugars giving less malt character. For instance a dry champagne is not sugary sweet. Thia will allow the hops to shine through by decreasing contrasting flavors. I personally like the maltiness of an iipa and I think its an intricate balance. But you know what you like.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #10
humulene
Recipes 

Thanks. That makes sense. I don't like much malt sweetness at all in a beer like this so I'm going try your technique. Just plain old table sugar?

Quick Reply