Want to start making some neat beer. Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sempf

Hellbranch Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have brewed probably 40 batches of wheat, IPA, and stout. Got those down. I was going to go to all grain next, but instead I think I want to learn some neat recipies.

Now, I am one of those who goes to a coffee shop and orders coffee. No, no cream thanks. Flavor? Mmmm, coffee flavored I think. So, I usually don't order beers like Raspberry Truffle ESB or anything like that when I am at the local brewery.

But I think there might be a few recipes out there for me to try. Oaked porter? Vanilla stout? Hell, I don't know, that's why I am asking. There are 10,000 threads out there about interesting recipes, and it is overwhelming. What's your favorite interesting partial mash recipe?

S

Try a belgian Trippel or dubbel. Not a crazy fruit or flavor beer, but a different beer style all together and my favorite.

I like smoked beers...
+1 to this. I tried my first smoked beer last month. I will definietly by another few bottles. But it's not something I'd drink more than 2 of. At least not this one. It was killer smokey. But delicious for the one bottle. (poured two pints).

Flanders Red is a very cool beer. Try one before you brew, they're a love it or hate it style.

Very true. Me - I love 'em.

sempf, define what you mean by 'neat recipes'. Unusual flavor combinations, techniques, fermentation schedules? Underappreciated and relatively unknown (to many) styles?

Based on your OP, you seem to prefer American and English styles. Perhaps something more Continental is in order.

sempf, define what you mean by 'neat recipes'.

I mean something with an adjunct. The smoked beer ideas is good - that kind of thing. The kind of stuff you canNOT buy on the shelf.

Flanders Red I can find - anyone have a smoked recipe? My interest is piqued. I had the Rogue smoked that they did a few years back, and I liked that.

S

Belgian Dark Strong ale is a nice heavy interesting beer.

Be careful with smoked beers. They can take a long time to age before tasting good and do not over do the smoked grain. Same thing with oak.

If you ever use oak, keep in mind it's surface area that matters, so if someone says 1/2 oz of oak cubes and you use 1/2oz of oak powder, you've just used a ****load more oak than intended.

Have you tried a roggenbier? (think hefe made with rye)

You can also use rye flake, which is easier to find locally. Keep in mind flake has no enzymes so you have to use wheat or pils malt with it (or any well modified malt).

Rye and wheat are very gummy so you might want to do a gum rest. Just under 113F for about 20 min. Palmer has a chart on his website. Some people add rice hulls to aid in the sparge but I don't find them necessary.

I mean something with an adjunct. The smoked beer ideas is good - that kind of thing. The kind of stuff you canNOT buy on the shelf.

Flanders Red I can find - anyone have a smoked recipe? My interest is piqued. I had the Rogue smoked that they did a few years back, and I liked that.

S

A couple of local stores (including Whole Foods, which is semi-national) are carrying rauchbiers right now. I picked up a pint or a bit more for $5 the other night.

It was kind of interesting, but ultimately it smelled like your clothes the morning after a campfire (which was cool) but the actual smoke taste was a lot more subdued. I thought I'd love the style but this one was just okay--it was "Schlenkerla":

Be careful with smoked beers. They can take a long time to age before tasting good and do not over do the smoked grain.

I disagree here. Perhaps you are thinking of peated malt, which is a very dangerous ingredient. I love smoked beers, and am not at all afraid of smoked malts.

Schlenkerla is the definitive rauchbier, I really like those. They are produced with 100% beechwood smoked malt. This is the rauchmalt you can buy. You can also smoke your own malts. That is what I do.

I have my Smoked Porter recipe in my drop down, it is by far the best beer I brew.

A couple of local stores (including Whole Foods, which is semi-national) are carrying rauchbiers right now. I picked up a pint or a bit more for $5 the other night.

It was kind of interesting, but ultimately it smelled like your clothes the morning after a campfire (which was cool) but the actual smoke taste was a lot more subdued. I thought I'd love the style but this one was just okay--it was "Schlenkerla":

I had the Marzen and thought it was very smokey! I enjoyed it but would not want more than one bottle. The bottle gave me and SWMBO each a glass.

An oaked 90 Schilling or Smoked Porter might fit the bill. If you're brave and can lager you might try a Rauch Beer.

I disagree here. Perhaps you are thinking of peated malt, which is a very dangerous ingredient. I love smoked beers, and am not at all afraid of smoked malts.

Schlenkerla is the definitive rauchbier, I really like those. They are produced with 100% beechwood smoked malt. This is the rauchmalt you can buy. You can also smoke your own malts. That is what I do.

I have my Smoked Porter recipe in my drop down, it is by far the best beer I brew.

Well, yes peated malt is something to be wary of (in regards to over use) but all smoked malts can easily overused by those that have not used them before. I have some alder smoked malt that can knock the socks off you if use aren't careful.

One should never be scared of any ingredient, just think less if more till you get a feel for an ingredient. (especially for the impatient types that don't age beer for long). :mug:

Back