New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Want to roll on a Gulden Draak type brew

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2008, 01:30 AM   #21
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3453

I'm sure no matter what it is going to be fantastic...even if it's not a direct clone because of the yeast...

I expect to get to taste this when it's ready my friend.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008, 08:00 PM   #22
TerapinChef

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So here's the update...after a week I had no signs of fermentation. Just a nasty looking kind of pellicle forming. I was swirling for a few days, so it never got a chance to build up, but I was really trying to get those first yeasties going. So I made a nice big starter of WLP530, and after a full 6 days of no fermentation pitched this. Now, 24 hours later, I've got a good full krausen and plenty of bubbling going. Going to need some help later to figure out what, if anything, this beer may have become infected with, but i think it might be a while. Unfortunately, my digital camera was out on loan to SWMBO's sister the whole time, so I didn't get any good pictures pre-desired fermentation. Cross your fingers for me!

See My Profile for Current Brews

My 3/4 Ton Brewstand "Build"

The Belgian Lady Brewery

Old 12-02-2008, 11:08 PM   #23
TerapinChef

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Still bubbling heavy with a 3" krausen over a week after first signs of fermentation. Afraid to take a sample as I don't want to punch through the rocky heads

The Belgian Lady Brewery

Old 02-16-2009, 09:38 PM   #24
510brew
Recipes 

Any updates?

Old 02-16-2009, 11:02 PM   #25
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Actually, I have an update on my dark strong recipe I put up earlier in this thread (which is as follows):

11# Pilsner (Bel)
5# 2-row (Bel)
1# Wheat malt (Bel)
6 oz Crystal 60
4 oz Special B
3.5 oz Aromatic
2 oz Biscuit

1# cane sugar was added on the 3rd day of fermentation. OG with the cane added in was 1.089.

I pitched this on a cake of WLP550 from a Belgian pale ale I had just done, and I just bottled it yesterday. The FG was 1.014, 10% abv. This was WAAAY lower than I expected it to go, beersmith had it estimated at a 1.020 FG. I figured this was due to my 148F 90min mash. Taste at bottling was great for a half-second, until the strong alcohol taste came in, then it makes you shudder. This is to be expected of course, as it is a 10% quite dry beer at 1.014 that's only 2 months old. I will report back when I open one of these guys (which will probably be around my birthday, November)

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 03-28-2009, 03:20 AM   #26
TerapinChef

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

So I went through all of this trouble, made this beer (which came out pretty good) and decided that due mostly to a lack of bottles and an overabundance of kegs, this would be my first kegged beer. So I read up a bit, set my regulator to about 11 psi, and let er rip. I shook it every day, hearing the air hiss satisfyingly into my beer. After about a week, I didn't really hear air hissing into my beer anymore. Thinking that kegging is supposed to be so much better/faster than bottling, I took this to mean that it was done. Drew off a few tasty pints, carbonated a bit low but I didn't want this to be quite as fizzy as one would expect. So I proceeded to BMBF the whole batch, having freed up a few bottles in this time. Now I'm finding that only about 1/4 of the bottles are carbonated, and this should have sat on gas for at least another week or two. Serves me right..

The Belgian Lady Brewery

Old 05-29-2009, 04:56 PM   #27
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Bit of another update on this: I opened the first one of the batch last night to try 'er out, here's the results. (two posts up is the recipe I used)

Aroma: Spot Bloody on, smells just like a gulden draak, spicy, estery and malty goodness.
Appearance: Two finger head that slowly dissipates to a 1/4 inch, but provides great lacing all the way down. Color is a deep copper, too light for gulden draak, but very pleasing looking.
Mouthfeel: Seems a tad thinner than Gulden Draak, next time I will mash a tad higher
so it doesn't end up quite as dry.
Taste: Next time I'll do a side-by-side, tasted pretty spot on, other than being a little spicier and drier than I remember.
Overall: Very tasty, I will brew again, but with a few corrections; mashing higher, and using a frutier yeast, maybe 500 or 530

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 05-30-2009, 01:32 AM   #28
TerapinChef

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Not sure if you got any of the fruity flavor that turned up in mine, which I was really looking to accentuate. I had a local homebrew guru (not to drop names for you MI people, but it was Fred Bonjour) taste this and he said I needed to mash lower and get it to dry out a bit more. Mine ended at about 1030. So maybe if we both brew the same thing, then blend them after about a year or so, we'll be looking really good! 150 was way too high in retrospect, I was looking to hit around 1020 or so...

The Belgian Lady Brewery

Old 05-30-2009, 02:25 AM   #29
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerapinChef View Post
Not sure if you got any of the fruity flavor that turned up in mine, which I was really looking to accentuate. I had a local homebrew guru (not to drop names for you MI people, but it was Fred Bonjour) taste this and he said I needed to mash lower and get it to dry out a bit more. Mine ended at about 1030. So maybe if we both brew the same thing, then blend them after about a year or so, we'll be looking really good! 150 was way too high in retrospect, I was looking to hit around 1020 or so...
Yeah, mine dried up to 1.014, and that was with a 148ish mash. The key is yeast health, I pitched on a huuuuuge yeast cake.

Last edited by Freezeblade; 05-30-2009 at 05:13 AM.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:41 AM   #30
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3453

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerapinChef View Post
Yeah, but I still thought it was an excellant beer.

And yes FB rocks...He liked my Belgian Dark Stong.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply