Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Want to brew a Wheat, but would also like to make some Cherry?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2007, 03:09 PM   #21
El_Borracho
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

vermin, thanks.. actually its been a few days since this thread and I've learned a few things.. I had decided to go the non-kit route. Still not sure of what I want to brew first..

I'm getting my kit as a gift, I don't know what type of kit it is :\ - not a Mr.Beer. Hah.. I'll probably end up making a MLT cooler, and need to get a 7.5gal pot.. Just go all grain from the start..

If doing all grain, OR extract what is the minimum sized stock pot I can use?? It's full-boil so I'm guessing 7 gallons?

5 gallon [US, liquid] = 640 ounce [US, liquid]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2007, 03:12 PM   #22
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4364 Times on 3173 Posts
Likes Given: 848

I have a 30 quart pot, and it's really too small. If I were able to buy what I wanted, I would get a 40 quart. That seems really big, but you can get a huge foamy head before the hot break and boil overs are messy. A smaller pot means standing guard over it with a spray bottle and not putting in all your wort sometimes, like during a 90 minute boil. If you can find a 36 quart size, that would probably be an ideal size.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:30 PM   #23
El_Borracho
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew
I have a 30 quart pot, and it's really too small. If I were able to buy what I wanted, I would get a 40 quart. That seems really big, but you can get a huge foamy head before the hot break and boil overs are messy. A smaller pot means standing guard over it with a spray bottle and not putting in all your wort sometimes, like during a 90 minute boil. If you can find a 36 quart size, that would probably be an ideal size.
Cheese suggested 60qt.. Says 15gallons is about right and easier to maintain without boil over when working with wheat... I don't know **** though. Different suggestions anyone?

My main issue is the $ but I'm getting my kit as a gift so now $ is free to go all grain..

5 gallon [US, liquid] = 640 ounce [US, liquid]

Quick Reply