Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Want to brew a Wheat, but would also like to make some Cherry?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2007, 04:04 PM   #1
El_Borracho
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Want to brew a Wheat, but would also like to make some Cherry?

I've been rummaging around here, bumped into a few walls but all in all understanding enough to embark on my mission...

Wife really isn't a drinking in any sort of way, she can kill half a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat sixxer... I love wheat beers but 5gallons of cherry flavored beer would eventually get old.

I'd like to be able to maybe maybe 3 gal of wheat, then flavor the other 2 gallons. Is this possible?

I figured set the priming sugar for all 5gal, then once I've bottled 3 gals - add cherry flavoring for 2 gallons - then bottle the rest. Possible?

Will the cherry flavor stuff taste like butt? Am I better off boiling 6lbs of cherries when I make my wort?? Maybe dry hopping the cherries (that may not be the right term)?

Last but never least, what ingredient kit would you guys suggest? I don't care for a Sam Adams clone.

5 gallon [US, liquid] = 640 ounce [US, liquid]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2007, 05:43 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 912 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 26

From what I heard on the Jamil show, extracts are the quickest way to accurate aroma and flavor. It's pretty cheap too, $5 for 4oz of extract. The purees and fresh fruit are going to cost you. I'm dosing half a batch of wheat with peach extract and leaving the other half plain. The extract gets added right to the bottling bucket so you can add it after you already have half of it bottled.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-26-2007, 05:46 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

My recollection of the Jamil show was that the cans of Oregon puree are the best, and to avoid the extract (especially cherry) for all purposes other than just a subtle aroma. The cherry extract is supposed to be NASTY.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:52 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 912 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Yeah, you're right, I just went back and listened. Those cans are like $15 though. That would double my batch cost.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-26-2007, 06:51 PM   #5
IndyPABrewGuy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Borracho
I've been rummaging around here, bumped into a few walls but all in all understanding enough to embark on my mission...

Wife really isn't a drinking in any sort of way, she can kill half a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat sixxer... I love wheat beers but 5gallons of cherry flavored beer would eventually get old.

I'd like to be able to maybe maybe 3 gal of wheat, then flavor the other 2 gallons. Is this possible?

I figured set the priming sugar for all 5gal, then once I've bottled 3 gals - add cherry flavoring for 2 gallons - then bottle the rest. Possible?

Will the cherry flavor stuff taste like butt? Am I better off boiling 6lbs of cherries when I make my wort?? Maybe dry hopping the cherries (that may not be the right term)?

Last but never least, what ingredient kit would you guys suggest? I don't care for a Sam Adams clone.
I was looking into doing something like this a while back (never did, but I"ll share what I found out). If you're planning on flavoring only two gallons of your beer, using puree in secondary would be the best bet. See what you can find in the two gallon size carboy-wise (or split everything into 4 1/2 gallon growlers, that was my plan), and add the cherries to that two gallons and let sit for while. (Don't have the specifics in front of me, I"m at work and it's been a while since I looked into it).

As for process, brew your normal 5 gallon batch and ferment it. You could look for an American Wheat kit, or a Hefeweizen kit, depending on what you want. the American Wheat, isn't going to put forth the banana and clove notes of a Hefeweizen, which may be better for what your planning on doing. Personally, I"m a Hefe fan over American wheats. But it's your call.

So once it's done fermenting, put two gallons in whatever container you're using, add the cherry puree, and let it sit for a few weeks (like any secondary). The other three gallons you can either put in secondary (unnecessary) or bottle it, again, your call.

Just my .02.

Cheers,

Primary: Nada
Secondary: The Ultimate Table Beer
Bottled: The Mothman Barley Wine, Hwart's Bitter
Drinking: Water
On Deck: ???

Old 10-26-2007, 06:59 PM   #6
krispy d
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

^^If you do this I will be curious to see how it turns out. I would be afraid of pink beer. Not sure why that would bother me but it would.

Old Burnside Ten Penny Ale
Primary
Westbrook Porter
Secondary

Empty
Up Next
A big IPA ??

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”
-Benjamin Franklin

Old 10-26-2007, 07:33 PM   #7
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I've been following some of your posts El_B.
I really sugest that you go with something less complicated for a first beer.
Give yourself an easy win.

You can impress SWMBO with a fruit beer once you get the hang of this.

Part of the learning process is understanding the linkage between the beer you make and the ingredients, your process and the conrols you employ.

Taking some baby steps will make it easier to understand this.

My 2 cents.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 10-26-2007, 07:48 PM   #8
krispy d
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

that's good advice right there!

Old Burnside Ten Penny Ale
Primary
Westbrook Porter
Secondary

Empty
Up Next
A big IPA ??

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”
-Benjamin Franklin

Old 10-26-2007, 07:52 PM   #9
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
I've been following some of your posts El_B.
I really sugest that you go with something less complicated for a first beer.
Give yourself an easy win.

You can impress SWMBO with a fruit beer once you get the hang of this.

Part of the learning process is understanding the linkage between the beer you make and the ingredients, your process and the conrols you employ.

Taking some baby steps will make it easier to understand this.

My 2 cents.
+1.

I found myself wanting to make all kinds of "weird" beers (mocha stout, maple-raspberry red ales) right off the bat, and I was very disappointed. I had to take a step back to making some "regular" beers. Personally, I find that I get a lot more enjoyment now from the latter, but I've learned enough where if I choose to make a SWMBO-friendly batch using something like cherry puree, I'm confident I can execute it well.

To each his own, though.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie

Old 10-26-2007, 07:55 PM   #10
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Side note, too.

If your wife doesn't care too much for beer, but you'd like to get her liquored up (a goal many of us share ... err, not with YOUR wife, that's not what I meant!), give EdWort's apfelwein a shot. It's the easiest beverage in the world to make, and nice and tasty. Then, make yourself whatever damn beer YOU like!

Quick Reply