Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Vienna SMaSH Hop choice?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2009, 05:17 AM   #1
dontman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Vienna SMaSH Hop choice?

Hallertauer or Styrian Goldings.

Just a choice between these two. I have a ton of all three items and need to start using them up.

Also, I was thinking about toasting some of the malt and perhaps crystalizing some as well since I make my own roasted and crystal malts. What do you think? Is this pushing the envelope too far on the SMaSh concept?

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2009, 05:28 AM   #2
brewmasterpa
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

goldings by far. hallertauer will be far too earthy and cidery for vienna.

ill keep my money, guns, freedom, and religion......you can keep the change.

You like fishsticks, what are you, a gay fish?

Old 10-17-2009, 05:32 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Smashing is whatever you make of it...I usually think of smashig as a progressiion...but keeping the same hop

first batch no toasting/roasting

Second toast some malt

thrid toast some more malt in SAME grainbill....

4th batch mybe change yeast

You could change things up and witch hops for two batches...kepp the grainbill the same..but whatever you do to one grain or hopbill you have to be consistent with the other.....it's basically whatever you want to do, to learn about various combinations. As long as you are somewhat methodological in your approach you can do no wrong.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply