Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Vienna Lager suggestions...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
POAS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

OK, even though I was trying to keep things simple, the decoction deal doesn't sound too bad. If I am doing a partial mash (5 gal, ~6 lbs. total grains plus ~3.5 lbs extract late addition), would the decoction still provide any benefits?

Also, I plan on fermenting this with Bohemian Lager from Wyeast (LHBS doesn't carry white labs), using a yeast starter (2 Liters?). My plan is 50 deg primary, D-rest at 75% of fermentation, then transfer to keg and lager for 6-8 weeks at about 35-40. Any comments? Does this sound OK? Do I need to let it rest at close to 50 after the D-rest before transferring to keg, or does the D-rest take care of the final 25% of fermentation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #12
rcsoccer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by POAS View Post
OK, even though I was trying to keep things simple, the decoction deal doesn't sound too bad. If I am doing a partial mash (5 gal, ~6 lbs. total grains plus ~3.5 lbs extract late addition), would the decoction still provide any benefits?
I don't think that a decoction would be very easy with only 6 lbs. of grain. You would have to mash VERY thin and decoction a very small portion of the grains. Decoctions really aren't necessary these days because of the quality of grain that is available. They were only used in the early days of brewing because the grain was undermodified, and it was the only way to raise the temp to a "certain" value (no thermometers 1000 years ago). These days just using Munich malt and maybe a tiny bit of Special B and some Aromatic and/or Melanoidin malt will help. Also, add the extract for the entire boil and boil for at least 90 mins to help with the production of melanoidins and to caramelize the sugars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by POAS View Post
Also, I plan on fermenting this with Bohemian Lager from Wyeast (LHBS doesn't carry white labs), using a yeast starter (2 Liters?). My plan is 50 deg primary, D-rest at 75% of fermentation, then transfer to keg and lager for 6-8 weeks at about 35-40. Any comments? Does this sound OK? Do I need to let it rest at close to 50 after the D-rest before transferring to keg, or does the D-rest take care of the final 25% of fermentation?
Sounds like a good yeast to use. I've never used that one before, but a 2 liter starter would be necessary, depending on the starting gravity. Pitch the yeast at about 45 and let it rise to 50 for primary fermentation for about 10-14 days, then raise the temp to 68-70 for a D-rest for about 2-3 days. Lager as close to freezing as you can get it; maybe around 34 for about 4-6 weeks, or as long as you can stand it....

Good luck!

Cheers!

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
- Dave Barry

Old 11-22-2012, 02:19 AM   #13
POAS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the advise. I think that I will skip the decoction. Please see my post on the yeast in the yeast/fermentation forum. I think that I may have killed it and may have to start over with the yeast starter. Not a good way to start! Oh well, live and learn!

Old 11-22-2012, 06:11 AM   #14
Grinch
Recipes 

I'm going for it... picked up the second oz of tett and am about to embark into the decoction mash process... Black friday will be a great day!!!!!

Old 11-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #15
Grinch
Recipes 

well, we brewed last night and did a single decoction. we did scorch a little hopefully it doesn't come through too much. One last question since this is my first lager. I pitched at (about 9pm last night at 70 and put it into the fermentation chamber to bring it down to 55. It's now been twelve hours and it's at 62 no visible activity in the airlock yet... I wasn't supposed to wait until there was activity to start bringing it down was I?

Old 11-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #16
greatplainsbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch
well, we brewed last night and did a single decoction. we did scorch a little hopefully it doesn't come through too much. One last question since this is my first lager. I pitched at (about 9pm last night at 70 and put it into the fermentation chamber to bring it down to 55. It's now been twelve hours and it's at 62 no visible activity in the airlock yet... I wasn't supposed to wait until there was activity to start bringing it down was I?
Probably want to do a diacetyl rest in case it put out any off flavored at that temp. I've had good luck letting mine cool for up to 24 hours before pitching.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #17
Grinch
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatplainsbrewer View Post
Probably want to do a diacetyl rest in case it put out any off flavored at that temp. I've had good luck letting mine cool for up to 24 hours before pitching.
I'm trying to look up what that means but-- in the mean time, it is now at 55 and really stinkin like funky sulfur.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:26 AM   #18
greatplainsbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch
I'm trying to look up what that means but-- in the mean time, it is now at 55 and really stinkin like funky sulfur.
The sulfur will dissipate with time. A diacetyl rest just means warming it up before you lager it. Maybe 62 F or so for a few days. It will help eliminate any diacetyl that may have formed earlier. What yeast did you use?

Old 11-25-2012, 01:28 AM   #19
Grinch
Recipes 

WLP830... 3 liter starter.

Quick Reply